-   -   Problem: documents won't open unless directly from excell. (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/62984-problem-documents-wont-open-unless-directly-excell.html)

Piotr

Problem: documents won't open unless directly from excell.

I've come across an interesting problem at work. We have a computer
(with Windows 2000 pro and office XP) where lots of different people
type in information in excel. There's a template (.xls document) for
this, which is on the c: drive with a shortcut on the desktop.
Yesterday suddenly the document wouldn't open when I clicked on the
shorcut (there was a message that the file or the ressurces weren't
available at that address) - what was stranger still, the file wouldn't
open when I clicked directely on it at C:\template.xls. When I opened
up excel first, I had no problem opening the document.

I then tried to log in as the administrator - and didn't have problems
opening the document via the shortcut or actual position. But with the
normal userlogin the problem was still there. I tried upgrading the
officepack from 97 to XP, but that didn't help.

Anyone has an idea what why this glitch is caused, and how it can be
fixed?

Best regards, Piotr

Piotr

Problem: documents won't open unless directly from excell.

I tried to search some more and finally found a solution in a earlier
thread:

Ron de Bruin 3 Jun. 2005 18:42

Try this

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

It worked :)