-   -   Can't find .xls (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/50824-cant-find-xls.html)

DHrei

Can't find .xls

Set save as in Excel 2003 to an older version (97) so others could open it,
now I can't open any .xls files anymore. Always get: 'c:\documents.xls' could
not be found - is it because no matter where I try to open a file it always
looks for 'c:\documents.xls' ?

Dave Peterson

Can't find .xls

If you open excel, then use File|Open does it work?

I'm guessing that you're trying to open the file by doubleclicking on it in
windows explorer.

If that's true...

Sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson

DHrei

Can't find .xls

I reset it in Folder Options/Files Types reset to default for xls, and it
fixed both DBL click and right mouse open. Looks like same result different
paths thanks for showing a good way to reset.