-   -   Formulas (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/5002-formulas.html)

Lewis Shanks

Formulas

Is there a way to set up a formula to convert metric dimensions (in this
case for carpets) to feet. For example:
the current dimensions in cells are in meters as follows:
2.50 ? 3.50

The actual conversion would be 8.20 x 11.48 (this is what I would like to
be able to convert the above cell to) using the conversion factor or 3.281
ft/meter.

Thanks
Lewis Shanks

Dave Peterson

Do you have both values in one cell?

If you do, I'd put each value into a separate column.

Then you could use a formula like:

=A1*3.281

or even:

=CONVERT(A1,"m","ft")

You can see all the units that you can use in excel's help for =convert()

And you'll have to make sure that the analysis toolpak is loaded
Tools|addins
else you'll get #name? errors back.

Then you could use:

--

Dave Peterson

Lewis Shanks

Sorry, mine was not clear earlier:

the metric column is currently headed as: Standard Sizes (meters), and the
typical format for each cell is:
2.50 x 3.50. In other words the length is 2.50m and the width is 3.50m.

I want to change it to have the same format but calculated in feet per
dimension, so that the new column might be headed Standard Sizes (feet), and
a typical cell would then read 8.20 x 11.48, i.e. the length and width in
feet.

I am trying to avoid having to retype or copy and past each dimension as
you suggested in two separate columns.

Hope that this clarifies my situation.

Thanks
Lewis

Lewis Shanks wrote:

Is there a way to set up a formula to convert metric dimensions (in this
case for carpets) to feet. For example:
the current dimensions in cells are in meters as follows:
2.50 ? 3.50

The actual conversion would be 8.20 x 11.48 (this is what I would like
be able to convert the above cell to) using the conversion factor or
3.281
ft/meter.

Thanks
Lewis Shanks

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Your life will be lots easier if you separate the values into different cells.

You could use Data|Text to columns
using delimited (by X and space)
then drop it into 2 separate columns
then use a formula for each conversion
and maybe combine them later with a formula like:
=C1&" x "&D1

or even
=text(c1,"0.00")&" X "&text(d1,"0.00")

But this formula worked ok for me with
2.50 X 3.50
in A1

=TEXT(CONVERT(--LEFT(A1,SEARCH("x",A1)-1),"m","ft"),"0.00")&" X "
&TEXT(CONVERT(--MID(A1,LOOKUP(2,1/(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1)="x"),
ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))))+1,255),"m","ft"),"0.0 0")

All one cell.

(I'd use the extra helper cells/columns and hide them if I didn't want to see
them.)

Lewis Shanks wrote:

Is there a way to set up a formula to convert metric dimensions (in this
case for carpets) to feet. For example:
the current dimensions in cells are in meters as follows:
2.50 ? 3.50

The actual conversion would be 8.20 x 11.48 (this is what I would like
be able to convert the above cell to) using the conversion factor or
3.281
ft/meter.

Thanks
Lewis Shanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Lewis Shanks

Dave:
Dave:

Wow!

All of that is way beyond me, but I do appreciate it. I think that I will do
as suggested and take the time to more each dimension to a respective column
and then convert with a simple formula.

Thanks very much

Lewis Shanks wrote:

Is there a way to set up a formula to convert metric dimensions (in
this
case for carpets) to feet. For example:
the current dimensions in cells are in meters as follows:
2.50 ? 3.50

The actual conversion would be 8.20 x 11.48 (this is what I would
like
be able to convert the above cell to) using the conversion factor or
3.281
ft/meter.

Thanks
Lewis Shanks

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I would!

It really makes life easier if you separate each field into its own column.

Good idea for names (first, last, MI, salutation,... all in separate cells).
(Just in case you ever have to set up a mini-database.)

Lewis Shanks wrote:

[...]

I fully agree, but this was the way I originally received it from my Moscow
office, so I will have to do the conversion per column myself. It's not a
big deal, but they are not even familiar with the most basic formulas.