-   -   How do I turn off auto-correcting dates (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/48782-how-do-i-turn-off-auto-correcting-dates.html)

bdonelson

How do I turn off auto-correcting dates

How do I turn off the auto correcting "feature" so that I type or import text
such as 2-0 or 1-2 without Excel converting the cell contents.

David McRitchie

What version of Excel do you have.

Excel 2000 for instance does not have any option in Auto Correct
to change the effect.

If you want to keep them as 2-0 and 1-2 when typed by must format
the column first as text or enter them preceded by a single quote.
Either way they will be text.

As far as importing data goes, if you want control then do not import
a file with a .csv extension --- instead change the extension first to .txt
---
HTH,