Old September 16th 13, 04:42 AM
Junior Member

Lightbulb converting number to dollar

I know this should be easy but it isn't.

I copy html spreadsheets off an web link in an email that has columns of data. One of the fields has dollar amounts like 1,565.00 that are formatted as general. I need to convert this to a dollar amount like $1,565. When I try to format the field to currency, nothing happens. I tried copying and pasting values in all the different formats. I made sure the column isn't locked. I have 3,500 rows of different amounts that I don't want to manually change.

Please tell me what I'm missing.

Old October 1st 13, 04:59 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytyab View Post
When I try to format the field to currency, nothing happens.
Most likely, there are excess spaces in your column, that prevent the conversion of the column's data to the currency format. If it is the case, then you can use the Trim spaces add-in to get rid of them.