-   -   List separator (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/447082-list-separator.html)

P-man

List separator

Hi all!

I have a quite annoying problem with my Excel.

The argument separator in the formulas, is equal to the list separator, which I think it should be.

However, when I want to choose several areas with input data for the formula (array), Excel automatically uses the same separator symbol. Hence, when I choose several input areas, Excel interprets these as different arguments in the formula, which basically screws everything up!

To give an example:
=large(F3:G18;J3:K15;2)

And yes, I have tried to manually change the symbol between the two input lists, and this does not provide any satisfactory result.

So basically, how can I change the setting to get one symbol separating several data input lists, and another symbol separating the arguments list?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide! :)

Spencer101

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-man (Post 1605349)
Hi all!

I have a quite annoying problem with my Excel.

The argument separator in the formulas, is equal to the list separator, which I think it should be.

However, when I want to choose several areas with input data for the formula (array), Excel automatically uses the same separator symbol. Hence, when I choose several input areas, Excel interprets these as different arguments in the formula, which basically screws everything up!

To give an example:
=large(F3:G18;J3:K15;2)

And yes, I have tried to manually change the symbol between the two input lists, and this does not provide any satisfactory result.

So basically, how can I change the setting to get one symbol separating several data input lists, and another symbol separating the arguments list?

Thanks for whatever help you can provide! :)

This is possibly something to do with your Windows regional settings rather than your Excel settings.

Have a look at this thread and see if it's of any help to you.
http://www.excelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19634

P-man

I have already explored the regional settings, and I have not found a solution there. When changing list separator, the separator for both argument lists and input lists changes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spencer101 (Post 1605350)
This is possibly something to do with your Windows regional settings rather than your Excel settings.

Have a look at this thread and see if it's of any help to you.
http://www.excelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19634

Spencer101

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-man (Post 1605354)
I have already explored the regional settings, and I have not found a solution there. When changing list separator, the separator for both argument lists and input lists changes.

Could you post an example file where this is happening?

P-man

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spencer101 (Post 1605355)
Could you post an example file where this is happening?

I will not let me complete a formula with too many arguments, hence I have used : to separate the data inputs in this formula.

Spencer101

Quote:

Originally Posted by P-man (Post 1605358)
I will not let me complete a formula with too many arguments, hence I have used : to separate the data inputs in this formula.

Try putting the non-contiguous range in a separate set of brackets.
So your example formula becomes =LARGE((E3:E16,G3:G13),2)

P-man

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spencer101 (Post 1605359)
Try putting the non-contiguous range in a separate set of brackets.
So your example formula becomes =LARGE((E3:E16,G3:G13),2)

Perfect! This solved the problem.
Thanks