-   -   Excel scrambles # series and enters=4.02E+11?? (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/265408-excel-scrambles-series-enters%3D4-02e-11-a.html)

Fez

Excel scrambles # series and enters=4.02E+11??

hi; first post to excel banter ;z)

I have a feeling that a 'feature' is being left on that is messing me u in Excel, and I need someone to tell me how to turn it off. ;z)

I have a column, of data like this....
422329310004
402310481007
402310481007
412022176003
402312133001
402301231025
402312133001
402301231025
412117151002
422310229011
422310229011
412117304011
412117304011
412117304011
402315383005
402315383005
402315383005

it goes and gets proccesed - IE: gets transferred to different formats & comes back as cvs. .... and I get...... which when click are only 2 unique for characters,.... out of like 12....

4.02E+11
4.02E+11
4.12E+11
4.12E+11
4.02E+11
4.02E+11
4.02E+11
4.12E+11
4.02E+11
4.12E+11
4.02E+11
4.02E+11
4.02E+11
4.02E+11
4.12E+11
4.12E+11
4.22E+11
4.22E+11
4.12E+11
4.02E+11

Simple question simple answer ;z) ;z)

Thanks in Advance,
Drew

Fez

Well so far:
Yes by highlighting the cells in question and right clicking & selecting format'. You can choose 'nuber' from the list for example. This returns it to a string of $'s however only half the values are 'true', the other 1/2 or the last 6 of the 12 digits are just left with place holders='0' .
So there is still something going on...

Maybe when converting between different formats, you have, a different maximum length of digits..... I dunno I'm just guessing,

yours,
Fez