Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default How can I avoid duplications entering data in Excel?

I am entering names of students that I have had over the past 30 years from
rosters I have kept onto Excel. While I am entering the names (in 2 columns)
how can I have the computer notify me that I have entered a name already
entered since I do have some students more than once?

Version 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

On Dec 27, 10:34*am, JCHSAlgebraTeacher
wrote:
*I am entering names of students that I have had over the past 30 years from
rosters I have kept onto Excel. *While I am entering the names (in 2 columns)
how can I have the computer notify me that I have entered a name already
entered since I do have some students more than once?

Version 2003

if you have no blank entries in your name columns, except for the ones
at the bottom of course, you may be able to use Excel's
Data...Filter...Auto Filter Option. It will give you the ability to
see if you have any duplicates very easily.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi

One way
In cell C1 enter the following formula
=IF(A1="","",COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1))
and copy down as far as required
You will see a Count of the number of entries with that name in column C

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"JCHSAlgebraTeacher" wrote in
message ...
I am entering names of students that I have had over the past 30 years
from
rosters I have kept onto Excel. While I am entering the names (in 2
columns)
how can I have the computer notify me that I have entered a name already
entered since I do have some students more than once?

Version 2003

signature database 4733 (20091231) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4733 (20091231) __________

http://www.eset.com

Junior Member

Select the range of cells in which you want to prevent duplicate values.
Choose Validation from the Data menu. In Excel 2007, click the Data tab and choose Data Validation from the Data Validation option's drop-down list (in the Data Tools group).
Click the Settings tab.
Choose Custom from the Allow drop-down list.
Enter a formula in the following form into the Formula control:=COUNTIF($range,firstcellinrange) = 1
Click the Error Alert tab.
Enter the text Duplicate Entry in the Title control.
In the Error Message box, enter a meaningful description, such as The value is a duplicate value and therefore, not valid.
Click OK.

I hope this is helpful!
Tim Paine