-   -   Excel starts very slowly (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/248946-excel-starts-very-slowly.html)

THIBUS Trévis

Excel starts very slowly

Hi Everybody.

On a Windows XP computer with Office XP, I have this problem since a couple
of days.
When I launch Excel, it starts SOOOOOO slowly (between 1 and 2 minutes).
Once launched, no problem, I can open spreadsheets very quickly (2 sec).
It is the same thing if I try to open a spreadsheets when Excel is closed
befo need to wait about 1 to 2 minutes...
In fact, the problem seems really to be to launch Excel.

This problem happened after somebody sent me a xlsm file. I couldn't opent
it. But there's probably a link ?

I checked my macro: everything is disabled; and the problem is the same with
my AV disabled.

I really do not see.

Please, if you have any idea, don' hesitate.

Best regards,
Trévis

Dave Peterson

Excel starts very slowly

Just a guess...

Close excel
Windows start button|Run
Type
%temp%
and hit enter

Delete all the temporary files that you see there. You may have to view the
details and stay away from the ones with today's date (they could be in use by
other programs).

Then back to excel to test it.

--

Dave Peterson

THIBUS Trévis

Excel starts very slowly

Hi.

Thank you for your answer but I already done this and (unfortunately of
course) it doesn't change anything.
Have any other idea ?

groupe de discussion : ...

THIBUS Trévis wrote:

[...]

Nope.

THIBUS Trévis wrote:

[...]

Simon Murphy[_2_]

Excel starts very slowly

Did you download the compatibility pack to open that xlsm in XP?
If so try uninstalling it (add/remove programs - compatibility)

Did you try running Excel from the command prompt:
winstartrunexcel /s /automation

This starts it without most add-ins etc

Failing that make sure you have no COM in the cOM add-ins dialog. You
should also check your registry (HKCU and HKCM branches for COM addins)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel\ Addins\

and the same in KEY_CURRENT_MACHINE, I think
Close Excel, make sure loadbehavior is set to 0 (zero) not loaded, then
restart Excel

Cheers
Simon
Excel development website: www.codematic.net