-   -   IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/248826-irm-permission-disappeared-xls-file.html)

Brian

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in the
first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

SangYun Won

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hi Brian,

I have the exactly same problem with you. And it starts from Nov 18,
2009
I am discussing with Microsoft support team at the moment.

Have you got any solution for this?

Thanks,
Steve

SangYun Won

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hi Brian,

I have the exactly same problem with you. And it started from Nov 18,
2009 (Australia Time)
I am discussing with Microsoft support team at the moment.

Have you got any solution for this?

Thanks,
Steve

SangYun Won

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hi Brian,

I have the exactly same problem with you. And it started from Nov 18,
2009
I am discussing with Microsoft support team at the moment.

Have you got any solution for this?

Thanks,
Steve

Brian

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Nothing yet.
There is another user on the microsoft.public.office.misc newsgroup who had
the exaxt same problem at about the same day as well.

"SangYun Won" wrote in message
Hi Brian,

I have the exactly same problem with you. And it started from Nov 18,
2009
I am discussing with Microsoft support team at the moment.

Have you got any solution for this?

Thanks,
Steve

Paul E. Brown Jr.

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

I also have this problem and I posted it to the General Forum. No reply other
than the one saying someone else has this problem.

This cant be a coincidence that so many have it, starting on the same day.

If anyone finds a result, let us all know.

Steve Won

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hi Daisy,

I've actually installed new Windows XP S2 + Office 7 ultimate. And
there were no additional updates.
It means, the system is a fresh condition without any recent updates.
Unfortunately, the result was the same.

By the way, when I installed my credentials into the new system again,
it says that I can only use the same credentials for 28 computers and
now I left only 1 time.
what does this mean?

Thanks,
Steve

On Nov 20, 5:38*pm, ("Daisy Cao [MSFT]")
wrote:
Hi Brian, Steve, Paul,

If you all got the issue recently, please help check if you have Automatic
Update enabled, some times, the update may be conflict to some third party
software on your machine and cause unexpected result. You may remove all
updates for Windows and Office after the day that the issue occurred, if
there is any update, don't hesitate to reply here, I will report the issue
immediately for you.

Thank you for the time and effort the issue, hope we can figure out the
root cause soon.

Regards,

Daisy Cao
MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Paul E. Brown Jr.

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Daisy,

I checked updates and I have none between the date of last file access and
the problem occurring.

I am running Windows 7 and Office 2007 on the machine the file was created
on.

I also copied the file to my flash drive and tried to open it on my laptop
running Windows 7 and Office 2010 Beta with the same result.

I also tried to open it on a Windows XP / Office 2007 machine with the same
result.

If there is anything else you can think of trying, I will be game.

Paul E. Brown Jr., MCITP, MCSE

Rodrigo Martensen

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Daisy,

The only update I received before November 18th was the Definition Update
for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.69.995.0), but it run a few
minutes earlier than my last use of my protected excel file (it run 8:02 a.m.
and my last access to my excel file was 8:30 a.m.). Is It possible that this
caused caused problems after reboot?

I don't think so...

obicanubi

"Rodrigo Martensen" wrote:

Daisy,

The only update I received before November 18th was the Definition Update
for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.69.995.0), but it run a few
minutes earlier than my last use of my protected excel file (it run 8:02 a.m.
and my last access to my excel file was 8:30 a.m.). Is It possible that this
caused caused problems after reboot?

I don't think so...

obicanubi

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

I have the same problem starting on 11/18/2009 - I tried to open a number of
files that were protected with my live passport. One of them was opened
everyday, being that it holds passwords. I had a saved image of a virtual
machine with one of my protected file in it. I booted that one, there is no
way something changed from 2 weeks ago and the auto updates are not on in
that VM. When I opened the file I got the same issue. The issue is that
something changed in the IRM server where Office connects to check the
credentials against. To sum it up, Microsoft took my access to my own files.
I don't like the situation I'm in right now.

"Rodrigo Martensen" wrote:

Daisy,

The only update I received before November 18th was the Definition Update
for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.69.995.0), but it run a few
minutes earlier than my last use of my protected excel file (it run 8:02 a.m.
and my last access to my excel file was 8:30 a.m.). Is It possible that this
caused caused problems after reboot?

I don't think so...

Steve Won

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hi there,

It seems this problem has been created by Microsoft system on Nov 18,
2009.
The impact of this problem should be similar to the one caused by
HOTMAIL service few years ago that a lot of hotmail users lost their
emails and contacts which hotmail server had kept due to the system
error at Microsoft.

At the moment, many people including myself can't access the documents
which have been used for a long time due to this problem.
The fact that we have used Microsoft IRM for our documents explains
that how important our documents having IRM function are for our work
and life.

I really would like to know whether Microsoft can fix this as this
problem is related to encryption technology.
Could someone explain whether it can be fixed by Microsoft or the
chance is low as Microsoft is not capable of fixing this issue due to
the lack of technology or etc although they created this system/
service?

If they can't fix this, I will have to believe that the time will come
soon when Robots can control human due to the system error human
created which was shown in I-Robot Movie.

Thanks,
Steve

williamwza

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Add me to the list of users who are experiencing this very serious problem.

"Brian" wrote:

Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in the
first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

.

Andrew

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

I also have the same problem.. I would like to knwo if this issue can be
fixed.??

"Steve Won" wrote:

[...]

DKS

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Add me too the list of user who are experiencing the very same problem. I am
using Windows XP Office 2003 and opening this same file very week and now
suddenly it is not opening with no credentials failure. I have tried copying
the file to another computer and still the same problem ;-(

"Brian" wrote:

Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in the
first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

.

Steve Won

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Daisy,

This problem should be supported by an IRM expert/development team in
Microsoft.
They should know exactly what we're talking about if they read the
articles in this newsgroup.
I can't believe people can't get a proper support from Microsoft for
the critical problems like this caused by Microsoft for almost 1
week.
Would Microsoft start taking an action if this issue comes up on the
news next to the Windows 7 commercial?

By the way, you can simply try to use IRM service for your excel
document through putting "restrict access" function on it, then you'll
understand what it is.

Thanks,
Steve

[email protected]

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

I have the same problem,I think the error is MS Hoamail server
No body can help us ?

Ollie Maitland

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

It is hard to believe that something like this actually has not become
a wider problem. Afterall this is likely to mean that people are not
able to access those documents that are most important to them.

For the general information I too am experiencing authentication
failure through files protected by IRM using the MSN Passport
services. Changing the password did not help with the document
protected before 18th November.

Creating a new document does, however, work and can be reopened.

The issue appears to be restricted to documents created with Passport
credentials prior to the 18th November.

Any references to other resources would be gratefully received!

Steve Won

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hi Daisy,

In regard to "the a trial service and services description in the
agreement" you addressed, I do not believe that it is appropriate to
try to protect Microsoft with using this for particularly this issue.

/// Imagine ABC motors company gave 100 cars to 100 people as a
promotion for 100 days trial.
These new cars use a technology which is a two verification process to
turn on the engine.
Verfication process includes the use of a key and the driver's
fingerprint which needs to be verfied from the central server. And
this remote fingerprint verification method has been used in the
industry for a long time.
So, some people drove this car to the desert and some went to the
Amazon jungle.

Suddenly after 20 days, the keys for 100 cars don't work due to the
fingerprint verification process failing, so they can't drive the cars
any more.
They might die there because they can't escape from the desert and
jungle without the cars moving.//

It might be true that they shouldn't go to the desert and jungle with
100 days promotion trial cars.
However, what would you expect from ABC motors company for this
situation?

I believe the answer is simple. They have to do their best to try to
save people without trying to protect their position as the impact of
this failure is huge.

So, WHAT IS MICROSOFT DOING since NOV 18?

Thanks,
Steve

avk789

On 25 Nov, 22:11, Steve Won wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for keeping the issue alive.. the more people like us
join on this better is the chance to get the result.

C Will

"Steve Won" wrote:

[...]

C Will[_2_]

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Same problem; same questions.

"Steve Won" wrote:

[...]

It is hard to believe that this issue hasn't been delivered to the
right person within Microsoft yet.

Who is supposed to have a responsibility in Microsoft organization
when IRM service fails?
Even small company who operates DRM/IRM service will know the answer
for this kind of question immediately.

Although hotmail and IRM services are free to public, this should be
the service that Microsoft provides/maintains as part of their
business activity.
So, wouldn't Microsoft need to take a Disater Recovery plan to handle
this issue? as one of the Microsoft's business function doesn't work
properly now?

Imagine, ABC bank's internet banking and ATM system doesn't work which
are usually free service to customer.
People hasn't been able to access their account through internet and
ATM machine for 8 days. What action should ABC bank take in this
situation?

High level action must be taken immediately and institutionally to
resolve this issue not only for customers but also for Microsoft
itself.
Please Microsoft, take this issue serioulsy and report this issue to
senior management who can initiate/take the right action for this
issue before customers contact them instead.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Won

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Shouldn't Microsoft stop IRM service now unitl this issue is fixed in
orde to prevent creating new victims?

There will be a lot of people who have subscribed this IRM service
since Nov 18 and many of them wouldn't know that they are exposed to
this kind of high risk.

CHEW

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Same problem here. I can not access Excel files that I have been accessing
almost daily for a very long time.

"Steve Won" wrote:

[...]

opdan

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

I have the same problem. It looks like so many people are affected why
Microsoft is not addressing that?

" wrote:

I have the same problem,I think the error is MS Hoamail server
No body can help us ?

jflarmour

"Steve Won" wrote:

[...]

I am also seeing this problem in both EXCEL2003 and 2007

jmyers06

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

I am having the same issue and have had it since the 18th of Nov. I
understand that this is not an Excel problem, but could someone please engage
an IRM engineer to come read the damn post and the many others that are out
there? This is a a real issue with a service that MS provides. The "trial"
bit is BS since I have been using the service for 3 or 4 years now. No, I do
not pay for it, but I do support MS when I purchase Win 7 Office 07 and all
the other rMS products I pay to use.

Pleas, please, PLEASE someone put this in the hands of the group that
supports this trial service.

I willl discontinue the use of this service as soon as I am able to unlock
the documents that I already have using it.

"Brian" wrote:

Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in the
first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

.

Brian

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hello all,
I had one of our admins open a critical support issue with a Microsoft
engineer. Here is the text of the last email we receibed--

Here's the official response from the RMS dev team:

We have recently become aware of an issue with Microsoft Information Rights
Management Trial Service. Some users may not be able to open protected
content that use this service. Please note that Enterprise customers using
their own internal RMS 1.0 and AD RMS infrastructure are not affected by
this issue.

We have isolated the root cause of this issue. To resolve this, we need to
make a change to the Microsoft Information Rights Management Trial Service.
Please rest assured that your content will continue to be accessible after
this change is in place.

It is the RMS team's top priority to bring this issue to resolution. We
will need to devote additional development and test time to ensure a high
quality fix . We estimate that we can address the issue which requires the
development and testing of a fix within the next few weeks.

We sincerely apologize for the disruption this issue has caused and will
provide any updates ASAP.

I'll keep you informed of any updates as they occur, please let me know if
you have any questions or concerns.

All I have right now...

"Brian" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in
the first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

vm63

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

It would appear Microsoft have fixed the problem. I am now able to access my
files again. I think I'll remove the permissions and think of another way of
protecting my files.

avk789

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

On 26 Nov, 20:35, ("Daisy Cao [MSFT]")
wrote:
Hi Steve,

I understand you have contacted our premium support and the support
engineer once contact me to discuss the urgent issue. He is also busy to
finding a person could be help as we all focus onExcelapplication and
have little knowledge forIRMservice and .net passport (windows live ID).

Thank you for your understanding and hope we can find a person soon to take
responsibility of the issue.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: Steve Won
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
| Subject: IRMPermission Disappeared in .xlsfile
| Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:11:39 -0800 (PST)
| Organization:http://groups.google.com
| * * *
| * * *
|
| Hi Daisy,
|
| In regard to "the a trial service and services description in the
| agreement" you addressed, I do not believe that it is appropriate to
| try to protect Microsoft with using this for particularly this issue.
|
| /// Imagine ABC motors company gave 100 cars to 100 people as a
| promotion for 100 days trial.
| These new cars use a technology which is a two verification process to
| turn on the engine.
| Verfication process includes the use of a key and the driver's
| fingerprint which needs to be verfied from the central server. And
| this remote fingerprint verification method has been used in the
| industry for a long time.
| So, some people drove this car to the desert and some went to the
| Amazon jungle.
|
| Suddenly after 20 days, the keys for 100 cars don't work due to the
| fingerprint verification process failing, so they can't drive the cars
| any more.
| They might die there because they can't escape from the desert and
| jungle without the cars moving.//
|
| It might be true that they shouldn't go to the desert and jungle with
| 100 days promotion trial cars.
| However, what would you expect from ABC motors company for this
| situation?
|
| I believe the answer is simple. They have to do their best to try to
| save people without trying to protect their position as the impact of
| this failure is huge.
|
| So, WHAT IS MICROSOFT DOING since NOV 18?
|
| Thanks,
| Steve

Hey Guys the problem is Resolved.. Thank you All