ExcelBanter

-   -   IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/248826-irm-permission-disappeared-xls-file.html)

Brian November 19th 09 12:16 AM

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in the
first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

SangYun Won November 19th 09 08:30 PM

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hi Brian,

I have the exactly same problem with you. And it starts from Nov 18,
2009
I am discussing with Microsoft support team at the moment.

Have you got any solution for this?

Thanks,
Steve

SangYun Won November 19th 09 08:32 PM

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hi Brian,

I have the exactly same problem with you. And it started from Nov 18,
2009 (Australia Time)

Brian November 19th 09 08:54 PM

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Nothing yet.
There is another user on the microsoft.public.office.misc newsgroup who had
the exaxt same problem at about the same day as well.

Paul E. Brown Jr. November 19th 09 09:42 PM

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

I also have this problem and I posted it to the General Forum. No reply other
than the one saying someone else has this problem.

This cant be a coincidence that so many have it, starting on the same day.

If anyone finds a result, let us all know.

Steve Won November 20th 09 09:21 AM

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Hi Daisy,

I've actually installed new Windows XP S2 + Office 7 ultimate. And
there were no additional updates.
It means, the system is a fresh condition without any recent updates.
Unfortunately, the result was the same.

By the way, when I installed my credentials into the new system again,
it says that I can only use the same credentials for 28 computers and
now I left only 1 time.
what does this mean?

Thanks,
Steve

On Nov 20, 5:38*pm, ("Daisy Cao [MSFT]")
wrote:
Hi Brian, Steve, Paul,

If you all got the issue recently, please help check if you have Automatic
Update enabled, some times, the update may be conflict to some third party
software on your machine and cause unexpected result. You may remove all
updates for Windows and Office after the day that the issue occurred, if
there is any update, don't hesitate to reply here, I will report the issue
immediately for you.

Thank you for the time and effort the issue, hope we can figure out the
root cause soon.

Regards,

Daisy Cao
MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Paul E. Brown Jr. November 20th 09 03:34 PM

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Daisy,

I checked updates and I have none between the date of last file access and
the problem occurring.

I am running Windows 7 and Office 2007 on the machine the file was created
on.

I also copied the file to my flash drive and tried to open it on my laptop
running Windows 7 and Office 2010 Beta with the same result.

I also tried to open it on a Windows XP / Office 2007 machine with the same
result.

If there is anything else you can think of trying, I will be game.

Paul E. Brown Jr., MCITP, MCSE

Rodrigo Martensen November 20th 09 09:33 PM

IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Daisy,

The only update I received before November 18th was the Definition Update
for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.69.995.0), but it run a few
minutes earlier than my last use of my protected excel file (it run 8:02 a.m.
and my last access to my excel file was 8:30 a.m.). Is It possible that this
caused caused problems after reboot?

I don't think so...