Old November 26th 09, 12:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

"Andrew" wrote:

I also have the same problem.. I would like to knwo if this issue can be
fixed.??

"Steve Won" wrote:

Hi there,

It seems this problem has been created by Microsoft system on Nov 18,
2009.
The impact of this problem should be similar to the one caused by
HOTMAIL service few years ago that a lot of hotmail users lost their
emails and contacts which hotmail server had kept due to the system
error at Microsoft.

At the moment, many people including myself can't access the documents
which have been used for a long time due to this problem.
The fact that we have used Microsoft IRM for our documents explains
that how important our documents having IRM function are for our work
and life.

I really would like to know whether Microsoft can fix this as this
problem is related to encryption technology.
Could someone explain whether it can be fixed by Microsoft or the
chance is low as Microsoft is not capable of fixing this issue due to
the lack of technology or etc although they created this system/
service?

If they can't fix this, I will have to believe that the time will come
soon when Robots can control human due to the system error human
created which was shown in I-Robot Movie.

Thanks,
Steve
.

Old November 26th 09, 10:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Daisy,

It is hard to believe that this issue hasn't been delivered to the
right person within Microsoft yet.

Who is supposed to have a responsibility in Microsoft organization
when IRM service fails?
Even small company who operates DRM/IRM service will know the answer
for this kind of question immediately.

Although hotmail and IRM services are free to public, this should be
the service that Microsoft provides/maintains as part of their
business activity.
So, wouldn't Microsoft need to take a Disater Recovery plan to handle
this issue? as one of the Microsoft's business function doesn't work
properly now?

Imagine, ABC bank's internet banking and ATM system doesn't work which
are usually free service to customer.
People hasn't been able to access their account through internet and
ATM machine for 8 days. What action should ABC bank take in this
situation?

High level action must be taken immediately and institutionally to
resolve this issue not only for customers but also for Microsoft
itself.
Please Microsoft, take this issue serioulsy and report this issue to
senior management who can initiate/take the right action for this
issue before customers contact them instead.

Thanks,
Steve

Old November 27th 09, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Shouldn't Microsoft stop IRM service now unitl this issue is fixed in
orde to prevent creating new victims?

There will be a lot of people who have subscribed this IRM service
since Nov 18 and many of them wouldn't know that they are exposed to
this kind of high risk.

Old December 1st 09, 08:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I have the same problem. It looks like so many people are affected why
Microsoft is not addressing that?

" wrote:

I have the same problem,I think the error is MS Hoamail server
No body can help us ?

Old December 1st 09, 12:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

"Steve Won" wrote:

Hi Daisy,

In regard to "the a trial service and services description in the
agreement" you addressed, I do not believe that it is appropriate to
try to protect Microsoft with using this for particularly this issue.

/// Imagine ABC motors company gave 100 cars to 100 people as a
promotion for 100 days trial.
These new cars use a technology which is a two verification process to
turn on the engine.
Verfication process includes the use of a key and the driver's
fingerprint which needs to be verfied from the central server. And
this remote fingerprint verification method has been used in the
industry for a long time.
So, some people drove this car to the desert and some went to the
Amazon jungle.

Suddenly after 20 days, the keys for 100 cars don't work due to the
fingerprint verification process failing, so they can't drive the cars
any more.
They might die there because they can't escape from the desert and
jungle without the cars moving.//

It might be true that they shouldn't go to the desert and jungle with
100 days promotion trial cars.
However, what would you expect from ABC motors company for this
situation?

I believe the answer is simple. They have to do their best to try to
save people without trying to protect their position as the impact of
this failure is huge.

So, WHAT IS MICROSOFT DOING since NOV 18?

Thanks,
Steve
.

Old December 1st 09, 12:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

"Steve Won" wrote:

[...]

I am also seeing this problem in both EXCEL2003 and 2007
Old December 1st 09, 01:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I am having the same issue and have had it since the 18th of Nov. I
understand that this is not an Excel problem, but could someone please engage
an IRM engineer to come read the damn post and the many others that are out
there? This is a a real issue with a service that MS provides. The "trial"
bit is BS since I have been using the service for 3 or 4 years now. No, I do
not pay for it, but I do support MS when I purchase Win 7 Office 07 and all
the other rMS products I pay to use.

Pleas, please, PLEASE someone put this in the hands of the group that
supports this trial service.

I willl discontinue the use of this service as soon as I am able to unlock
the documents that I already have using it.

"Brian" wrote:

Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in the
first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

.

Old December 1st 09, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hello all,
I had one of our admins open a critical support issue with a Microsoft
engineer. Here is the text of the last email we receibed--

Here's the official response from the RMS dev team:

We have recently become aware of an issue with Microsoft Information Rights
Management Trial Service. Some users may not be able to open protected
content that use this service. Please note that Enterprise customers using
their own internal RMS 1.0 and AD RMS infrastructure are not affected by
this issue.

We have isolated the root cause of this issue. To resolve this, we need to
make a change to the Microsoft Information Rights Management Trial Service.
Please rest assured that your content will continue to be accessible after
this change is in place.

It is the RMS team's top priority to bring this issue to resolution. We
will need to devote additional development and test time to ensure a high
quality fix . We estimate that we can address the issue which requires the
development and testing of a fix within the next few weeks.

We sincerely apologize for the disruption this issue has caused and will
provide any updates ASAP.

I'll keep you informed of any updates as they occur, please let me know if
you have any questions or concerns.

All I have right now...