Old November 21st 09, 03:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

I have the same problem starting on 11/18/2009 - I tried to open a number of
files that were protected with my live passport. One of them was opened
everyday, being that it holds passwords. I had a saved image of a virtual
machine with one of my protected file in it. I booted that one, there is no
way something changed from 2 weeks ago and the auto updates are not on in
that VM. When I opened the file I got the same issue. The issue is that
something changed in the IRM server where Office connects to check the
credentials against. To sum it up, Microsoft took my access to my own files.
I don't like the situation I'm in right now.

"Rodrigo Martensen" wrote:

Daisy,

The only update I received before November 18th was the Definition Update
for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.69.995.0), but it run a few
minutes earlier than my last use of my protected excel file (it run 8:02 a.m.
and my last access to my excel file was 8:30 a.m.). Is It possible that this
caused caused problems after reboot?

I don't think so...

Old November 21st 09, 07:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi there,

It seems this problem has been created by Microsoft system on Nov 18,
2009.
The impact of this problem should be similar to the one caused by
HOTMAIL service few years ago that a lot of hotmail users lost their
emails and contacts which hotmail server had kept due to the system
error at Microsoft.

At the moment, many people including myself can't access the documents
which have been used for a long time due to this problem.
The fact that we have used Microsoft IRM for our documents explains
that how important our documents having IRM function are for our work
and life.

I really would like to know whether Microsoft can fix this as this
problem is related to encryption technology.
Could someone explain whether it can be fixed by Microsoft or the
chance is low as Microsoft is not capable of fixing this issue due to
the lack of technology or etc although they created this system/
service?

If they can't fix this, I will have to believe that the time will come
soon when Robots can control human due to the system error human
created which was shown in I-Robot Movie.

Thanks,
Steve
Old November 21st 09, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Add me to the list of users who are experiencing this very serious problem.

"Brian" wrote:

Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in the
first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

.

Old November 23rd 09, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
DKS DKS is offline

Add me too the list of user who are experiencing the very same problem. I am
using Windows XP Office 2003 and opening this same file very week and now
suddenly it is not opening with no credentials failure. I have tried copying
the file to another computer and still the same problem ;-(

Old November 24th 09, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Daisy,

This problem should be supported by an IRM expert/development team in
Microsoft.
They should know exactly what we're talking about if they read the
articles in this newsgroup.
I can't believe people can't get a proper support from Microsoft for
the critical problems like this caused by Microsoft for almost 1
week.
Would Microsoft start taking an action if this issue comes up on the
news next to the Windows 7 commercial?

By the way, you can simply try to use IRM service for your excel
document through putting "restrict access" function on it, then you'll
understand what it is.

Thanks,
Steve
Old November 25th 09, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I have the same problem,I think the error is MS Hoamail server
No body can help us ?
Old November 25th 09, 10:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

It is hard to believe that something like this actually has not become
a wider problem. Afterall this is likely to mean that people are not
able to access those documents that are most important to them.

For the general information I too am experiencing authentication
failure through files protected by IRM using the MSN Passport
services. Changing the password did not help with the document
protected before 18th November.

Creating a new document does, however, work and can be reopened.

The issue appears to be restricted to documents created with Passport
credentials prior to the 18th November.

Any references to other resources would be gratefully received!
Old November 25th 09, 01:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Daisy,

In regard to "the a trial service and services description in the
agreement" you addressed, I do not believe that it is appropriate to
try to protect Microsoft with using this for particularly this issue.

/// Imagine ABC motors company gave 100 cars to 100 people as a
promotion for 100 days trial.
These new cars use a technology which is a two verification process to
turn on the engine.
Verfication process includes the use of a key and the driver's
fingerprint which needs to be verfied from the central server. And
this remote fingerprint verification method has been used in the
industry for a long time.
So, some people drove this car to the desert and some went to the
Amazon jungle.

Suddenly after 20 days, the keys for 100 cars don't work due to the
fingerprint verification process failing, so they can't drive the cars
any more.
They might die there because they can't escape from the desert and
jungle without the cars moving.//

It might be true that they shouldn't go to the desert and jungle with
100 days promotion trial cars.
However, what would you expect from ABC motors company for this
situation?

I believe the answer is simple. They have to do their best to try to
save people without trying to protect their position as the impact of
this failure is huge.

So, WHAT IS MICROSOFT DOING since NOV 18?

Thanks,
Steve
Old November 26th 09, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

On 25 Nov, 22:11, Steve Won wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for keeping the issue alive.. the more people like us
join on this better is the chance to get the result.