-   -   Can't make Excel default program, not on list. (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/233216-cant-make-excel-default-program-not-list.html)

Traci

Can't make Excel default program, not on list.

Excel is listed in Start/All Programs, but when if I click on a file and
choose "open with", Excel is not on the list for .xls.

If I download the file and save it, then open Excel and open the file, no
problem.

If I "browse" for programs to open that file type, Excel is not listed.

kassie

Can't make Excel default program, not on list.

Under Tools, Options, General, is "Ignore other applications" ticked? If so,
untick.

--
HTH

Kassie

Replace xxx with hotmail

"Traci" wrote:

Excel is listed in Start/All Programs, but when if I click on a file and
choose "open with", Excel is not on the list for .xls.

If I download the file and save it, then open Excel and open the file, no
problem.

If I "browse" for programs to open that file type, Excel is not listed.

[email protected]

"Traci" wrote:
Excel is listed in Start/All Programs, but when if I click on a file and
choose "open with", Excel is not on the list for .xls. *

If I download the file and save it, then open Excel and open the file, no
problem.

If I "browse" for programs to open that file type, Excel is not listed. *

I am not able to find the tools,options, general tabs in vista. Where
do I look for this?

In Excel, Options Advanced General (For Excel 2013, likely similar or the same for 2007)

"Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange" I believe this is what she is referring to.