-   -   What function to use? Data Validation or IF (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/192509-what-function-use-data-validation-if.html)

Allie B

What function to use? Data Validation or IF

I am trying to set up a spreadsheet that allows you to type text in cell A1
and it will automatically enter a dollar amount into cell B1. The text in A1
could be a number of options so a drop down box would be good to select from
but then how will this be able to place the corresponding dollar amount in B1.

eg. A1 - Sydney, LAX, Melbourne, London
B1 - 960, 10000, 1200, 15000

If you know an user friendly way of putting this information in, please help!

Thanks
Allie

Bob Phillips

What function to use? Data Validation or IF

Create a lookup table and use VLOOKUP in B1 based upon looking up the A1
value in that table. It's explained in help.

--
HTH

Bob