Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default match data by day

Hi Guys,

I have some excel sheets and have a question regarding grouping the data by
day. I want to compare sales figures for each day of current month compared
to last financial year corresponding month. The catch is that I dont want to
compare each date (ie compare 1st December of 2006 with 1st Dec 2007), I want
to compare data from the particular day (ie I want to compare sales figures
from the first monday of december 2006 to the first monday in December 2007.

I currently have a February Workbook. It has three worksheets (1,
Comparison Sheet, 2. Feb 2007 data, 3. Feb 2008 data)

The two data worksheets have a format of..

Date Day Ttl Sales Confec Hot Food Magazines , etc

So I want the comparison sheet to take the values from the 2007 data and
then search through the 2008 data match the values by day (eg say the 5th feb
2007 is a monday and the 1st feb 2008 is a monday - I dont want to compare
both first of feb figures, I want to compare the two monday figures.

I was hoping to get something that looks like this...

Date Day Ttl Sales Confec Hot Food Magazines , etc

5feb07 Mon 4,500 800 2900 800 ...
1feb08 Mon 5,200 770 3430 1000 ...

5feb07 Tue 4,600 750 3150 700 ...
2feb08 Tue 4,200 800 2800 600 ...

Hopefully I have explained myself ok.

The problem I am having is grouping the days automatically. At the moment I
am having to put the cell reference in manually for each day.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi
01 Feb 08 is a Friday, not a Monday.

That aside, if you take the latest date and subtract 364, you will get the
equivalent day 1 year earlier

04 Feb 08 - 364 = 05 Feb 07
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"mcarrigg" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I have some excel sheets and have a question regarding grouping the data
by
day. I want to compare sales figures for each day of current month
compared
to last financial year corresponding month. The catch is that I dont want
compare each date (ie compare 1st December of 2006 with 1st Dec 2007), I
want
to compare data from the particular day (ie I want to compare sales
figures
from the first monday of december 2006 to the first monday in December
2007.

I currently have a February Workbook. It has three worksheets (1,
Comparison Sheet, 2. Feb 2007 data, 3. Feb 2008 data)

The two data worksheets have a format of..

Date Day Ttl Sales Confec Hot Food Magazines , etc

So I want the comparison sheet to take the values from the 2007 data and
then search through the 2008 data match the values by day (eg say the 5th
feb
2007 is a monday and the 1st feb 2008 is a monday - I dont want to compare
both first of feb figures, I want to compare the two monday figures.

I was hoping to get something that looks like this...

Date Day Ttl Sales Confec Hot Food Magazines , etc