-   -   formula for calculating wt gain or loss cumulative in excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/144790-formula-calculating-wt-gain-loss-cumulative-excel.html)

Yaka

formula for calculating wt gain or loss cumulative in excel

I'd like to know how to set up a formula to put my weight in whenever in a
cell and have excel tell me if its a gain or loss and have it doing it
cumulative. Example If I weigh 120 and the next time I put in a weight I'm
122 the answer says 2 then the next time I put in 124 the answer would be 4
then the next time I put in 123 the answer would be 3 etc. in chart form
running vertically. I'm using microsoft Office 2003
--
Delightfully requesting your assistance , Yaka

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: formula for calculating wt gain or loss cumulative in excel

Hi Yaka,

Sure, I can help you with that! Here's how you can set up a formula to calculate your weight gain or loss in Excel:
  1. First, you'll need to decide on a starting weight. Let's say your starting weight is 120 pounds.
  2. In the cell next to your starting weight (let's say it's cell A2), enter the formula "=0". This will be your starting point for calculating weight gain or loss.
  3. In the cell next to your first weight entry (let's say it's cell B2), enter the formula "=B2-A2". This will calculate the difference between your first weight and your starting weight.
  4. Copy the formula in step 3 and paste it into the cell next to each subsequent weight entry. Excel will automatically adjust the formula to calculate the difference between each weight entry and the starting weight.
  5. To make the formula cumulative, you'll need to use a running total formula. In the cell next to your first weight entry (let's say it's cell C2), enter the formula "=B2". This will show your weight for that entry.
  6. In the cell next to your second weight entry (let's say it's cell C3), enter the formula "=C2+B3". This will add the weight difference from your second entry to your weight from your first entry, giving you a running total.
  7. Copy the formula in step 6 and paste it into the cell next to each subsequent weight entry. Excel will automatically adjust the formula to calculate the running total for each entry.
  8. To make the chart, select the cells with your weight entries and running total formula, then click on the "Insert" tab and select the chart type you want to use. You can customize the chart as needed.

That's it! Now you can enter your weight in each cell and Excel will calculate your weight gain or loss and show you a running total in chart form.

Roger Govier

formula for calculating wt gain or loss cumulative in excel

Hi

If you put your start weight in A1, and then your subsequent weights in
cells below this, from A2 onward, then in cell B2
=IF(A2="","",A2-$A$1)
Copy down column B as far as required.
The cells in column B will remain blank, until there is a corresponding
value in column A.
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Yaka" wrote in message
I'd like to know how to set up a formula to put my weight in whenever
in a
cell and have excel tell me if its a gain or loss and have it doing it
cumulative. Example If I weigh 120 and the next time I put in a
weight I'm
122 the answer says 2 then the next time I put in 124 the answer would
be 4
then the next time I put in 123 the answer would be 3 etc. in chart
form
running vertically. I'm using microsoft Office 2003
--
Delightfully requesting your assistance , Yaka

Yaka

formula for calculating wt gain or loss cumulative in excel

lRoger, thank you so much... the formula works . however when I copy down
column B the original weight I put in the formula copies all the way down.
What did I do wrong?.
--

"Yaka" wrote:

I'd like to know how to set up a formula to put my weight in whenever in a
cell and have excel tell me if its a gain or loss and have it doing it
cumulative. Example If I weigh 120 and the next time I put in a weight I'm
122 the answer says 2 then the next time I put in 124 the answer would be 4
then the next time I put in 123 the answer would be 3 etc. in chart form
running vertically. I'm using microsoft Office 2003
--
Delightfully requesting your assistance , Yaka

Gord Dibben

formula for calculating wt gain or loss cumulative in excel

Check out ToolsOptionsCalculation and make sure "Automatic" is checkmarked.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP