-   -   Starting a formula with a + symbol instead of = (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/143064-starting-formula-symbol-instead-%3D.html)

P J Bryant

Starting a formula with a + symbol instead of =

Anyone seen this, or better, understand it? I've a user who uses the +
symbol instead of = when editing a cell to be a formula (it's easier as you
can use the num pad)
So the cell originally reads (without the quotes) "84%", and then she edits
it to read "+84%*10/12", however Excel then evaluates the 10/12 and changes
the cell to read "+84%*0.8333333". This is not wanted. if you use the =
instead the result is "=84%*10/12"

A distant bell is ringing Lotus 1-2-3, but in any case - is this by design
or some sort of bug?

Thanks, Peter

Bob Phillips

Starting a formula with a + symbol instead of =

No, you have got it, backwards compatibility with Lotus, when Lotus was a
serious challenger.

I must admit that I couldn't reproduce the action of changing 10/12 to
0.83333. I thought it might be some Transition setting
(ToolsOptionsTransition), but nothing seemed to force it for me.

--
HTH

Bob