-   -   Weight differece need everyting to be positive (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/139823-weight-differece-need-everyting-positive.html)

Neal

Weight differece need everyting to be positive

I am having a hard time trying to figure out a solution to this problem. I
am setting up a spread sheet with shipping weights. Some packages go out
over weight other go out under weight and I want to setup a spread sheet that
shows the total weights we are off. I have a colom that has our weight, the
next colom is the shipper's weight, and the 3 is how much the weight is off.
The probem that I have is that with the weights in the 3rd row when I add
them up I have postive and negative numbers so I am not getting a true total
off the how much we were off by in our systems. I am wondering how can I
make this so that negative numbers will add up as a postive number or that a
negative number will show and add up as a positive number.

Thanks

John

Weight differece need everyting to be positive

if the data was in cells a1:a3 then try =SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A3))
--
John
MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003

Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders)

"Neal" wrote:

I am having a hard time trying to figure out a solution to this problem. I
am setting up a spread sheet with shipping weights. Some packages go out
over weight other go out under weight and I want to setup a spread sheet that
shows the total weights we are off. I have a colom that has our weight, the
next colom is the shipper's weight, and the 3 is how much the weight is off.
The probem that I have is that with the weights in the 3rd row when I add
them up I have postive and negative numbers so I am not getting a true total
off the how much we were off by in our systems. I am wondering how can I
make this so that negative numbers will add up as a postive number or that a
negative number will show and add up as a positive number.

Thanks

Elkar

Weight differece need everyting to be positive

Use the ABS function to return an Absolute Value.

=ABS(A1-B1)

HTH,
Elkar