Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Calculations

Hello...I am using Office 2003 Pro SP2 on Win XP Pro...Things are looking and
running great until low-and-behold, Excel stops calculating! It won't
calculate anything! I have the same setup on a second computer, right next to
this one with the problem, and the second system work perfect.

Any ideas as to why all of a sudden Excel would stop calculating? I have
checked everything I could think of under tools & options and all looks good.
Anyone heard of this happening before?

Any assistance, suggestions, ideas....anything will be greatly appreciated.
I thank you in advance for your time!
--
Randy Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Randy

Look at ToolsOptionsCalculation and ensure than the Automatic option
is ticked.

Excel takes this setting from the first Workbook opened in a session.
If the first workbook you opened on the machine that day had its setting
at Manual, it would stay in that mode until you set it otherwise.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Randy" wrote in message
Hello...I am using Office 2003 Pro SP2 on Win XP Pro...Things are
looking and
running great until low-and-behold, Excel stops calculating! It won't
calculate anything! I have the same setup on a second computer, right
next to
this one with the problem, and the second system work perfect.

Any ideas as to why all of a sudden Excel would stop calculating? I
have
checked everything I could think of under tools & options and all
looks good.
Anyone heard of this happening before?

Any assistance, suggestions, ideas....anything will be greatly
appreciated.
I thank you in advance for your time!
--
Randy Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Thank you Roger for your response....I have checked this option already. It
is set to Automatic. Another funny thing happened in that I was showing a
colegue my problem and when I went to show him it worked. The minute he
walked away I opened the same document back up again and then the
calculations were not working again...errrrrrrrr....any ideas as to why it
would work and then not work right after opening a doc?
--
Randy Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

"Randy" wrote in message
Hello...I am using Office 2003 Pro SP2 on Win XP Pro...Things are
looking and
running great until low-and-behold, Excel stops calculating! It won't
calculate anything! I have the same setup on a second computer, right
next to
this one with the problem, and the second system work perfect.

Any ideas as to why all of a sudden Excel would stop calculating? I
have
checked everything I could think of under tools & options and all
looks good.
Anyone heard of this happening before?

Any assistance, suggestions, ideas....anything will be greatly
appreciated.
I thank you in advance for your time!
--
Randy Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Randy

Are there any macros running?
Maybe there is one that switches Automatic to manual
What happens if you press F9?

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

No sir....no macros running and nothing seems to happen when I press
F9....This is a tricky one huh!! Very strange! I am somewhat embarrassed as I
have been working with Excel and Office for many years and am pretty
efficient with Excel...This one is stumping me though!
--
Randy Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I have even tried uninstalling and re-installing and same thing keeps
happening....
--
Randy Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

"Randy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Are you sure you are saving the workbook with calculation set to automatic?

Do so then close the workbook and re-open.

What's the calc status?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:48:01 -0800, Randy
wrote:

No sir....no macros running and nothing seems to happen when I press
F9....This is a tricky one huh!! Very strange! I am somewhat embarrassed as I
have been working with Excel and Office for many years and am pretty
efficient with Excel...This one is stumping me though!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hey there again....first let me thank you for taking the time on this issue.
It is very much appreciated! Anyway...Auto Calc is set to automatic when
opening and closing....this is happening on every workbook I open...all
calculations do not calculate and auto calc is set....
--
Randy Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

wrote:

No sir....no macros running and nothing seems to happen when I press
F9....This is a tricky one huh!! Very strange! I am somewhat embarrassed as I
have been working with Excel and Office for many years and am pretty
efficient with Excel...This one is stumping me though!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Randy,

Look at this checklist:

http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0024.html

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Randy" wrote in message ...
| Hey there again....first let me thank you for taking the time on this issue.
| It is very much appreciated! Anyway...Auto Calc is set to automatic when
| opening and closing....this is happening on every workbook I open...all
| calculations do not calculate and auto calc is set....
| --
| Randy Street
| Rancho Cucamonga, CA
|

| "Gord Dibben" wrote:
|
| Are you sure you are saving the workbook with calculation set to automatic?
|
| Do so then close the workbook and re-open.
|
| What's the calc status?
|

| Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
|
| On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:48:01 -0800, Randy
| wrote:
|
| No sir....no macros running and nothing seems to happen when I press
| F9....This is a tricky one huh!! Very strange! I am somewhat embarrassed as I
| have been working with Excel and Office for many years and am pretty
| efficient with Excel...This one is stumping me though!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Niek and thank you for your response....I have viewed the site you
provided to no avail...still not calculating. Funny thing is I can open Excel
in "safe" mode and all works great. If I open normal, no calculations....go
figure...well I'm just about at my wits end with this whole thing...unless
anyone else has any other ideas I may just force to open in safe mode until I
get a chance to format my hd and start over!
--
Randy Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

"Randy" wrote in message ...
| Hey there again....first let me thank you for taking the time on this issue.
| It is very much appreciated! Anyway...Auto Calc is set to automatic when
| opening and closing....this is happening on every workbook I open...all
| calculations do not calculate and auto calc is set....
| --
| Randy Street
| Rancho Cucamonga, CA
|

| "Gord Dibben" wrote:
|
| Are you sure you are saving the workbook with calculation set to automatic?
|
| Do so then close the workbook and re-open.
|
| What's the calc status?
|

| Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
|
| On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 14:48:01 -0800, Randy
| wrote:
|
| No sir....no macros running and nothing seems to happen when I press
| F9....This is a tricky one huh!! Very strange! I am somewhat embarrassed as I
| have been working with Excel and Office for many years and am pretty
| efficient with Excel...This one is stumping me though!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Randy

If all is well when you open Excel in Safe Mode then when not in safe mode,
something is opening with Excel that turns off the calculation.

You have unchecked all add-ins?

You have cleared all from your XLSTART folder? Note: there can be more than one
of these in your account.

You have cleared the path at ToolsOptionsGeneral "At startup, open all files
in"?

A format of your HD is a bit drastic, I believe.

Gord

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 08:47:00 -0800, Randy
wrote:

Hi Niek and thank you for your response....I have viewed the site you
provided to no avail...still not calculating. Funny thing is I can open Excel
in "safe" mode and all works great. If I open normal, no calculations....go
figure...well I'm just about at my wits end with this whole thing...unless
anyone else has any other ideas I may just force to open in safe mode until I
get a chance to format my hd and start over!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Gord....
As far as openeing in safe mode, yes all works well in safe, but when
opening in normal mode the calulations are still set to automatic....This
options does not change....

All add-ins are unchecked....

XLSTART folder is empty....

"At Startup" path is empty....

Still nothing....any other ideas?

I do not wish to reformat the hd but even when I un-install office completly
and re-install I still get the same problem....very frustrating! Unless
we/someone can come up with any other suggestions I can't think of anything
else to do....

--
Randy Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

wrote:

Hi Niek and thank you for your response....I have viewed the site you
provided to no avail...still not calculating. Funny thing is I can open Excel
in "safe" mode and all works great. If I open normal, no calculations....go
figure...well I'm just about at my wits end with this whole thing...unless
anyone else has any other ideas I may just force to open in safe mode until I
get a chance to format my hd and start over!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

One more try at something...........

Do a file search for *.XLB with Excel closed.

This file can become corrupt at times.

When that happens, strange doings can occur.

When you find it(them......could be more than one) rename to *.OLD or similar.

Re-start Excel and it will build a new one which is Excel's basic default
settings for Menus and Toolbars.

Gord

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:18:00 -0800, Randy
wrote:

Hi Gord....
As far as openeing in safe mode, yes all works well in safe, but when
opening in normal mode the calulations are still set to automatic....This
options does not change....

All add-ins are unchecked....

XLSTART folder is empty....

"At Startup" path is empty....

Still nothing....any other ideas?

I do not wish to reformat the hd but even when I un-install office completly
and re-install I still get the same problem....very frustrating! Unless
we/someone can come up with any other suggestions I can't think of anything
else to do....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Gord....sorry for the delay...thanks for the last tip...that did the
trick! I reeeeeaaaalllly appreciate your help with this! You are a rockstar!
--
Randy Street
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

wrote:

Hi Gord....
As far as openeing in safe mode, yes all works well in safe, but when
opening in normal mode the calulations are still set to automatic....This
options does not change....

All add-ins are unchecked....

XLSTART folder is empty....

"At Startup" path is empty....

Still nothing....any other ideas?

I do not wish to reformat the hd but even when I un-install office completly
and re-install I still get the same problem....very frustrating! Unless
we/someone can come up with any other suggestions I can't think of anything
else to do....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Thanks for the feedback.

Happy to help.