-   -   Default file location (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/127569-default-file-location.html)

hmburg52

Default file location

I have installed a new server and want to change the default file save
location but when i go to tools / options wherever i click I get a message to
say Excell cannot locate the old server. How can I override this and enter
the new address?

Dave Peterson

Saved from a previous post...

Do you feel comfortable editing the registry?

Close Excel first.

Windows Start button|Run
Regedit
and hit ok

Traverse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options
under: DefaultPath

And carefully change the path to what you want (or delete the key and accept
Excel's default and change it later???)

And in the same branch:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options
under: AutoRecoverPath

And delete that key.

====
Remember to backup your registry first--just in case.

And you may not need to change the autorecoverypath entry if it points at an
existing drive/folder.

--

Dave Peterson

hmburg52

Dave, that worked fine! Thanks for the help.