-   -   Can I lock rows? (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/121636-can-i-lock-rows.html)

LT

Can I lock rows?

I have created an Excel data base with multiple columns (ID No., Name, Phone,
Address) that need to be sorted using different columns (Name, ID No. or ID
No., Name). The problem is that Im not the only one to use this data base
and some people do not select all of the columns before doing a sort. When
thats done the Name and IDs are resorted but the rest of the information
stays where it was.

Can I lock the rows so that the data in each row is €ślocked€ť to the rest of
the data in that row?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Gord Dibben

Can I lock rows?

You cannot lock rows in the manner in which you suggest.

Either teach the users to select all columns before sorting or use macro(s) to
do the sorting.

You can then ensure all columns are selected before the sort.

Give users a button or buttons to activate the sort.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 07:07:01 -0800, LT wrote:

I have created an Excel data base with multiple columns (ID No., Name, Phone,
Address) that need to be sorted using different columns (Name, ID No. or ID
No., Name). The problem is that I’m not the only one to use this data base
and some people do not select all of the columns before doing a sort. When
that’s done the Name and IDs are resorted but the rest of the information
stays where it was.

Can I lock the rows so that the data in each row is “locked” to the rest of
the data in that row?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

LT