-   -   How do I get rid of old links in a spreadsheet? (https://www.excelbanter.com/setting-up-configuration-excel/109447-how-do-i-get-rid-old-links-spreadsheet.html)

JeremyInNC

How do I get rid of old links in a spreadsheet?

It's bugging the bejeezus ou of my users (especially the folks opening it via
trans-oceanic links). There are tons of pop up messages saying Unable to open
http://blahblah.bla.com/Documents/Stuff.xls. The internet site reports that
the item you requested could not be found. (HTTP/1.0 404).

Now obviously it's trying to pull up links that no longer exist. How can I
either
1(Prefered) remove dead links or
2(Not so good) make it stop popping up with these errors?

These are very large spreadsheets.

Jim Thomlinson

How do I get rid of old links in a spreadsheet?

Take a look at this link and download Bill Manville's FindLinks addin...

http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"JeremyInNC" wrote:

It's bugging the bejeezus ou of my users (especially the folks opening it via
trans-oceanic links). There are tons of pop up messages saying Unable to open
http://blahblah.bla.com/Documents/Stuff.xls. The internet site reports that
the item you requested could not be found. (HTTP/1.0 404).

Now obviously it's trying to pull up links that no longer exist. How can I
either
1(Prefered) remove dead links or
2(Not so good) make it stop popping up with these errors?

These are very large spreadsheets.

JeremyInNC

How do I get rid of old links in a spreadsheet?

That works to find where the links are, but how do I delete them? If I tell
it to delete or ask it pops up with a window that says it cannot do it with
out a name. I have no idea what I should be naming this stuff or if I am
destroying the integrity of the worksheet.

"JeremyInNC" wrote:

It's bugging the bejeezus ou of my users (especially the folks opening it via
trans-oceanic links). There are tons of pop up messages saying Unable to open
http://blahblah.bla.com/Documents/Stuff.xls. The internet site reports that
the item you requested could not be found. (HTTP/1.0 404).

Now obviously it's trying to pull up links that no longer exist. How can I
either
1(Prefered) remove dead links or
2(Not so good) make it stop popping up with these errors?

These are very large spreadsheets.

Gord Dibben

How do I get rid of old links in a spreadsheet?

Don't worry about destroying the integrity of the worksheet.

If you make a mistake, you are only harming the backup copy you are working on.

That's how we learn to do things.

Twist it until it breaks then drag out the next backup copy and start twisting
on that one.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP