-   -   vlookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/85203-vlookup.html)

vlookup

How can I make this work?
I have a worksheet. I need to extract the first two digits of a number. The
two digit number determines which equipment to use.That number checks
against a vlookup table and then the equipment is entered in another cell.
The worksheet is much larger than this but this should give you an idea what
the problem is.

Example:
A1 = 8110332
B1 =LEFT(A1,2) B1 now shows 81
C1 =VLOOKUP(B1,D1:E1,2,FALSE)
D1 =81
E1 =Thingy

The #N/A error shows. I just need to enter the number in A1 and all the rest
is done for me. I know the problem rests with the formula in B1.

Peo Sjoblom

vlookup

Try

=VLOOKUP(--B1,D1:E1,2,FALSE)

or in B1 use

=--LEFT(A1,2)

then use your vlookup as originally stated

all the text functions return a text string

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

wrote in message
. net...
How can I make this work?
I have a worksheet. I need to extract the first two digits of a number.
The two digit number determines which equipment to use.That number checks
against a vlookup table and then the equipment is entered in another cell.
The worksheet is much larger than this but this should give you an idea
what the problem is.

Example:
A1 = 8110332
B1 =LEFT(A1,2) B1 now shows 81
C1 =VLOOKUP(B1,D1:E1,2,FALSE)
D1 =81
E1 =Thingy

The #N/A error shows. I just need to enter the number in A1 and all the
rest is done for me. I know the problem rests with the formula in B1.

Max

vlookup

B1 =LEFT(A1,2) B1 now shows 81
C1 =VLOOKUP(B1,D1:E1,2,FALSE)

Try instead in B1: =LEFT(A1,2)+0

The "+0" will coerce the text number
returned by LEFTinto a real number
--
Max
Singapore
" wrote:
How can I make this work?
I have a worksheet. I need to extract the first two digits of a number. The
two digit number determines which equipment to use.That number checks
against a vlookup table and then the equipment is entered in another cell.
The worksheet is much larger than this but this should give you an idea what
the problem is.

Example:
A1 = 8110332
B1 =LEFT(A1,2) B1 now shows 81
C1 =VLOOKUP(B1,D1:E1,2,FALSE)
D1 =81
E1 =Thingy

The #N/A error shows. I just need to enter the number in A1 and all the rest
is done for me. I know the problem rests with the formula in B1.

vlookup

Thank You So Much. Exactly What I Wanted.

" wrote:
[...]

You're welcome ! Glad it helped.
See also Peo's reply for other ways to do it
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
wrote in message
et...
Thank You So Much. Exactly What I Wanted.