-   -   I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/78561-i-want-formula-ignore-text-values-cell-references.html)

Russellrupert

I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references

If text is input into some cells referenced by a formula I want the formula
to ignore whatever text it finds and just calculate the result of the numbers
in cells. How do i do this?
Presently the formula displays #VALUE! where there is text in one or more of
the cells referenced.

Gary''s Student

I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references

Use ISNUMBER():

In place of A1 use =IF(ISNUMBER(A1),A1,"")
--
Gary''s Student

"Russellrupert" wrote:

If text is input into some cells referenced by a formula I want the formula
to ignore whatever text it finds and just calculate the result of the numbers
in cells. How do i do this?
Presently the formula displays #VALUE! where there is text in one or more of
the cells referenced.

Max

I want a formula to ignore text values in cell references

Just some thoughts .. If it's to sum numbers,
we could use, eg: =SUM(A1:A3)
instead of : =A1+A2+A3

SUM will ignore text,
while : =A1+A2+A3 would return #VALUE!
if there are text within the range

And if there's the possibility of "text" numbers within the range, which
should also be included in the sum together with real numbers, then one way
is to try,
array-entered (press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):
=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(--A1:A3),--A1:A3))

[ =SUM(A1:A3) would ignore text numbers ]
--
Max
Singapore
"Russellrupert" wrote in message
If text is input into some cells referenced by a formula I want the

formula
to ignore whatever text it finds and just calculate the result of the

numbers
in cells. How do i do this?
Presently the formula displays #VALUE! where there is text in one or more

of
the cells referenced.

JackLafleur

Please forgive my ignorance, I am looking to do something similar here. I am looking to divide the contents of cell B21 by the contents of cell A27 on my Excel sheet. The problem I am encountering is cell A27 contains the following "9 Waitresses" and I am looking to have the formula disregard the text "Waitresses". Can anyone tell me how to do this? Many thanks!