-   -   Moving Cell Reference after Sorting (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/76153-moving-cell-reference-after-sorting.html)

[email protected]

Moving Cell Reference after Sorting

hi, i'm trying to have a cell reference in an equation following a
moving data point ...

Assumption #1 - column A has data A1=1, A2=5, A3=3
Assumption #2 - column B has an equation referring to the "3" in A3

Goal - to have my equation follow the data point "3"

Interaction - I **sort** column A so that the data is ascending order,
i.e., A1=1, A2=3, A3=5

Problem - my equation refers only to cell A3 (i.e., value is now 5,
originally was 3). I want the equation to refer to wherever my data
point went (i.e., to refer to whatever cell the 3 is sorted to). How
how how?

:(((

thanks in advance for your help

steve

[email protected]

Moving Cell Reference after Sorting

You can use 3 as a constant in cojunction with the if statement and
array formula

For example,if cell A1=1,A2=5,A3=3
Instead of referring directly to cell,you can use the constant 3

Tell what you are actually trying to do get precise results
For more,visit and post your questions on
http://groups.google.co.in/group/answers-for-everything

wrote:
hi, i'm trying to have a cell reference in an equation following a
moving data point ...

Assumption #1 - column A has data A1=1, A2=5, A3=3
Assumption #2 - column B has an equation referring to the "3" in A3

Goal - to have my equation follow the data point "3"

Interaction - I **sort** column A so that the data is ascending order,
i.e., A1=1, A2=3, A3=5

Problem - my equation refers only to cell A3 (i.e., value is now 5,
originally was 3). I want the equation to refer to wherever my data
point went (i.e., to refer to whatever cell the 3 is sorted to). How
how how?

:(((

thanks in advance for your help

steve

[email protected]

Moving Cell Reference after Sorting

unfortunately using a constant there wouldn't work. if i needed to
change that data point and then re-sort it, i'd like the equation to
still refer to the data in that cell (wherever it moves after it's
sorted)

Max

Moving Cell Reference after Sorting

I don't know what formulas you're using in col B, perhaps you could post a
sample ?

Usually, a VLOOKUP or an INDEX/MATCH could be used to "track" the values in
col A
so that other associated values from a reference table (assuming the values
in col A are key values which are unique within the reference table) can
continue to correspond/be returned for use in other computations,
irrespective of the sorting which may be done in col A

Example: In Sheet2's col B we could use something like this in B1:
= VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)
with B1 copied down

Col B will continue to return correctly the associated values from col B in
the reference table (Sheet2!A:B), irrespective of the sorting which may be
carried out on the lookup values in col A
--
Max
Singapore
wrote in message
oups.com...
unfortunately using a constant there wouldn't work. if i needed to
change that data point and then re-sort it, i'd like the equation to
still refer to the data in that cell (wherever it moves after it's
sorted)

Max

Moving Cell Reference after Sorting

Typo correction, apologies. Line:
Example: In Sheet2's col B ...

should have read as:
Example: In Sheet1's col B ...

(What you're trying to do is assumed to be in Sheet1)