-   -   How do I assign a set of values to a selection from a drop list? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/75729-how-do-i-assign-set-values-selection-drop-list.html)

Mike Bach

How do I assign a set of values to a selection from a drop list?

Hi. I am trying to assign a set of values, in separate fields ,to a each
selection from a drop-down list in Excel (using data validation). What I am
trying to do is very smilar to, say, to selecting a SKU from a list and
having the product description, unit price etc. fill into their corresponding
fields automatically. For example, I pick SKU "11111" from a drop-down list
to fill the SKU field, then, automatically, "5-inch widget" comes up in the
product description field and "$5.00" shows up in the unit price field.
Please help.

Gord Dibben

How do I assign a set of values to a selection from a drop list?

Mike

Along with the drop-down list you need a VLOOKUP table to return the values such
as description and price.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more on VLOOKUP and a downloadable sample file.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP