-   -   Can Function results be calculated? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/72991-can-function-results-calculated.html)

FranksBank

Can Function results be calculated?

Hi all
I have a sheet with two columns of figures. I show the running totals of
each column in cells with basic SUM Functions, at the top of the sheet. I now
want to subtract one total from the other. How is this done? As the Function
is looking at cells that themselves hold Functions, I can't see how to do
this, short of making a longer Function that adds the column contents again
and then subtracts.

So, in summary:
I have two cells with Functions. These a
Cell F4 =SUM(F8:F45)
and
Cell G4 =SUM(G8:G45)

I want to do this:
=F4-G4
but it won't play.

Any advice most appreciated.
Kind regards
Frank

Norman Jones

Can Function results be calculated?

Hi Franks,

I have two cells with Functions. These a
Cell F4 =SUM(F8:F45)
and
Cell G4 =SUM(G8:G45)

I want to do this:
=F4-G4
but it won't play.

That works for me - what happens when you try it?

---
Regards,
Norman

FranksBank

Can Function results be calculated?

Errr... It works!

My apologies! The fog of ineptitude has now lifted, to reveal that I'd put
in the wrong row numbers in the Function and then proceeded to wrack my
brain(?) for solutions to the actually non-existent problem.

I guess it just needed me to make a pleb of myself before the error could
come to light.

Thanks for your response, which just made me open my eyes and look at what I
was doing. I shall now beat myself with a large stick and take my sweets away.

Cheers
Frank

Hi Franks,