-   -   adding hexadecimal numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/70602-adding-hexadecimal-numbers.html)

Dave

adding hexadecimal numbers

Hi,
As the subject states, how do I add together cells containing hex numbers. I
tried
the following...

A1 contains 0f
a2 contains 0f
a3 contains = a1 + a2
result #VALUE!

I know that it knows the cells could be hex because if I do =hex2dec(a1) in
another cell it converts it. Is there anyway in Excel to explicitly set the
number type of a cell?

Regards,
Dave.

Dave Peterson

adding hexadecimal numbers

As long as your numbers fit in that =hex2dec() and =dec2hex() ranges:

=DEC2HEX(HEX2DEC(A1)+HEX2DEC(A2))

I don't know of anyway of using a custom format to display hex.

--

Dave Peterson

Bernard Liengme

adding hexadecimal numbers

You have nearly answered your own question:
=DEC2HEX(HEX2DEC(A1)+HEX2DEC(A2))

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Dave" wrote in message
As the subject states, how do I add together cells containing hex numbers.
tried
the following...

A1 contains 0f
a2 contains 0f
a3 contains = a1 + a2
result #VALUE!

I know that it knows the cells could be hex because if I do =hex2dec(a1)
in
another cell it converts it. Is there anyway in Excel to explicitly set
the
number type of a cell?

Regards,
Dave.

Dave

adding hexadecimal numbers

Thanks,
Thats what I did in the end. I just thought that with Excel being a big
number cruncher it would be a bit more flexible in the way you can use
numbers of a different base without having to jump through loops.

Regards,
Dave.