-   -   VLOOKUP help! (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/69283-vlookup-help.html)

REG

VLOOKUP help!

I have 2 worksheets with ID numbers in separate comlums . When I use vlookup
it gives me a N/A value in return. I have formatted cells as "text" as
"general" - tried all sorts, but it still does not return a value. This is a
simple vlookup action and I am getting no-where. I simply want to find out if
the ID on 1 list is also on the other list!

Niek Otten

VLOOKUP help!

Please always post your formula.

Formatting makes no difference. Some data may look like numbers but are
actually text. Formatting doesn't change that.
You can find out with the ISNUMBER() function.
If numbers are actually text, do the following:
Format an empty cell as Number. Enter the number 1. EditCopy. Select your
"numbers". EditPaste special, check Multiply.

Also there may be spaces or other unprintable characters in (some of) your
cells; this is often the case if you downloaded them from the web or pasted
from another application.

Best is to thoroughly clean your data: use the TRIM() and CLEAN() function.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten