-   -   New User Question (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/67971-new-user-question.html)

steveparker

New User Question

It has been a decade since I last used MS Windows. I am a UNIX/Linux
systems designer, but am now forced to use Windows and MS Office. I
find these applications (and the OS iteself, but that's another matter)
totally counter-intuitive*

However, I've got to work with it, and what I would like to learn is
how the (common) trick is done of making certain columns / rows
"sticky" - that is, they are displayed as you scroll around the
spreadsheet. exceltip.com seems to assume that readers will know such
basic things, but with a 20+ year career in IT, I have never needed to
know how to use MS Office (I work with SF25K and similar systems, not
office-based PCs).

Any idea how a novice like myself can make a certain row/column not
scroll (so as to become a "header")?

Steve.

*
- If I open many Excel documents at once, I only see the "incorrect
format" error one has when I go to that document ... I'd have expected
it to Excel to highlight the error to me.
- If I hit the top-right Cross in Excel, it closes all spreadsheets;
hit it in Word, and it closes only that document.
- WTF?!
- Oh, well.

--
steveparker
steveparker's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30918

daddylonglegs

New User Question

If you want row 1 to be a header select cell A2 and use

Window Freeze Panes

If you select B2 then you'd freeze both the top row and left column
etc.

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505937

steveparker

New User Question

Thanks, DaddyLongLegs.

I would never have thought of looking under the Window menu, so your
reply is invaluable to me. I'd like to meet the person who put it under
the "Window" menu, as well as the person who called it "Freeze Frames"
:-)

Cheers,

Steve.