-   -   In Excel how do I disable "read only"? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/67864-excel-how-do-i-disable-read-only.html)

rdbeale

In Excel how do I disable "read only"?

When I try to copy a file I'm told it can't be copied because it is a read
only file. I go to Tools - Options-Security - and there is a box there for
Read Only it is not checked so I can't uncheck read only. How do you change
a file from Read Only to not Read Only????
Thanks in advance.

CLR

In Excel how do I disable "read only"?

It sounds like the mesage one gets when trying to copy a file to a DIRECTORY
that is "read only".......see if you can copy the file to some other
directory, and if so, you have a "RIGHTS" issue with that directory.........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"rdbeale" wrote:

When I try to copy a file I'm told it can't be copied because it is a read
only file. I go to Tools - Options-Security - and there is a box there for
Read Only it is not checked so I can't uncheck read only. How do you change
a file from Read Only to not Read Only????
Thanks in advance.

Anne Troy

In Excel how do I disable "read only"?

Sounds like a sharing issue to me, which would be on the server/PC, not an
Excel setting.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"rdbeale" wrote in message
When I try to copy a file I'm told it can't be copied because it is a read
only file. I go to Tools - Options-Security - and there is a box there
for
Read Only it is not checked so I can't uncheck read only. How do you
change
a file from Read Only to not Read Only????
Thanks in advance.

paul

In Excel how do I disable "read only"?

if you right click on the icon for the file and navigate to properties there
is a box to check/uncheck for read only
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!