-   -   Dates in cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/66680-dates-cells.html)

Ralphael1

Dates in cells

I am having problems with dates in cells remaining consistent.
I always format the cells with date and select the format of the date.
Occasionally the format will change for some unknown reason.
Is there something I am doing wrong??

Ralphael, the OLD one

Dave Peterson

Dates in cells

I don't recall a format changing for a cell containing a date (not a formula to
another cell with a date) when using the same pc.

But I like mm/dd/yyyy (4 digit years in my dates). If I change my short date
format in windows (under regional settings in the control panel) and I format my
date as m/d/y, excel will use my windows setting.

If I open that file on another pc that has a windows short date of (say) m/d/yy,
then the date formats differently--to match the user's windows preference.

Could that explain it?

If no, you may want to post a little more info.

--

Dave Peterson