-   -   Substracting from a column (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/64509-substracting-column.html)

venus21pam

Substracting from a column

Hi,

I have a column of numbers and I want to substract a certain value from
every cell in that column and create a new column with new set of
numbers.
How do I do that?

Thanks,

Venus

--
venus21pam
venus21pam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30368

Roger Govier

Substracting from a column

Hi Venus

Place the number you wish to subtract in a blank cell. Copy that cell.
Mark the range of existing data, Paste SpecialSubtract.

or, in a column alongside your data (supposing the data is in column A
and the value you wish to subtract is 5) then
=A1-5
Copy down the column for the extent of your data in column A.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"venus21pam"
wrote in message

I have a column of numbers and I want to substract a certain value
from
every cell in that column and create a new column with new set of
numbers.
How do I do that?

Thanks,

Venus

--
venus21pam
venus21pam's Profile:
View this thread:

venus21pam

Substracting from a column

Thanks a million Roger, you helped me a lot!

--
venus21pam
venus21pam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30368
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=500201

venus21pam

Substracting from a column

Oh, one more question:

I want to get an absolute value of all the numbers in the column.
How can I apply the function to the whole column at the same time?

--
venus21pam
venus21pam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30368
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=500201

Roger Govier

Substracting from a column

Hi Venus

Do you mean you want the Absolute in terms of you want the value of each
cell without the sign e.g. 5 will return 5 and -5 will also return 5?
If so then
=ABS(A1) will give you the absolute of whatever value is in cell A1
Copy down the column with the fill handle and it will change to =ABS(A2)
etc. as you go down.
The fill handle is the small black cross you see whenever you hover the
cursor over the bottom right corner of the cell. Double click it to
repeat the formula down the column.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"venus21pam"
wrote in message

Oh, one more question:

I want to get an absolute value of all the numbers in the column.
How can I apply the function to the whole column at the same time?

--
venus21pam
venus21pam's Profile:
View this thread: