-   -   Advanced export/ Fixed length fields (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/64508-advanced-export-fixed-length-fields.html)

raws

Advanced export/ Fixed length fields

In excel 97, when you did an export of a worksheet to a .txt file you
were able to do an advanced options export. Now I cannot find any
reference to this ability in 2002.
Basically I have data that needs to be uploaded to a mainframe, and the
only way that the mainframe will take it is with a .txt file that has
fixed length. This can still be done in paradox, but then I have to
find a copy of it. It just seems like this is a feature that should
not have gone away from Excel, but then again maybe I am losing my
mind.

Thanks,
Ross K
:confused:

--
raws
raws's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30366

wjohnson

Advanced export/ Fixed length fields

Go to FILE - SAVE AS - and then in the SAVE AS TYPE - Scroll down until
you find "Formatted Text (Space Delimited *.prn), this should work for
you. If you cannot find it then you might need to reinstall "ALL" of
the EXCEL conversion that are available. If you do the normal install
of OFFICE - sometimes you do not get ALL of the conversion features
added to the your programs. Then you can rename the *.prn to *.txt and
import into your other program. Just be sure to use a COURIER font to
view it, otherwise - text may not look like it lines up.

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29640
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=500197