Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Default Conditional Formatting...Please Advise

If I have a row of cells B6:M6
A cell K6 which is "List" validated Yes, No

I would like the full range of cells B6:M6 to become Yellow, when the cell
is set to Yes from the list.

I have experimanted with the "Conditional Formatting" dialogue box, but
can't work out how to do this....I can only get one cell to change to
yellow....that being K6 if I select yes from the list.

Please advise the correct way for me to achieve this objective.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
bpeltzer

If you choose 'cell value is' in the first drop-down of the CF dialog, then
you can only adjust the current cell's condition. Instead, say in B6, use
'Formula is' and in the text box =$K$6="Yes". That should set the CF in B6
as you want. Then select the rest of your range and Edit Repeat
Conditional Formatting.

"Dermot" wrote:

If I have a row of cells B6:M6
A cell K6 which is "List" validated Yes, No

I would like the full range of cells B6:M6 to become Yellow, when the cell
is set to Yes from the list.

I have experimanted with the "Conditional Formatting" dialogue box, but
can't work out how to do this....I can only get one cell to change to
yellow....that being K6 if I select yes from the list.

Please advise the correct way for me to achieve this objective.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Barb Reinhardt

Select cells B6:M6
Format - Conditional Formatting
Formula equals =$K$6="YES"
Set the format you want.

"Dermot" wrote in message
If I have a row of cells B6:M6
A cell K6 which is "List" validated Yes, No

I would like the full range of cells B6:M6 to become Yellow, when the cell
is set to Yes from the list.

I have experimanted with the "Conditional Formatting" dialogue box, but
can't work out how to do this....I can only get one cell to change to
yellow....that being K6 if I select yes from the list.

Please advise the correct way for me to achieve this objective.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Debra Dalgleish

Select cells B6:M6
Choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is
In the text box, type: =$K6="Yes"
Click the Format button, and choose Yellow on the Patterns tab.
Click OK, click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Thank you for the solution Debra.
This works fine for me.
Using this explanation I have tried unsucessfully to expand on it as
described below.
How do I extend this formula so ................
1. No = Red
2. All cells in column K behave in this manner?

Please advise
Thanks
Dermot

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

Select cells B6:M6
Choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is

Dermot wrote:
If I have a row of cells B6:M6
A cell K6 which is "List" validated Yes, No

I would like the full range of cells B6:M6 to become Yellow, when the cell
is set to Yes from the list.

I have experimanted with the "Conditional Formatting" dialogue box, but
can't work out how to do this....I can only get one cell to change to
yellow....that being K6 if I select yes from the list.

Please advise the correct way for me to achieve this objective.
Thanks

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

How do I extend this formula so ................
1. No = Red
2. All cells in column K behave in this manner?

One way ..

Assume the range to be cond formatted is B6:M20

Select B6:M20 (with B6 active)

Click Format Cond Formatting

Make the settings as

Cond1:
Formula is:=$K6="Yes"
Format: Yellow

Click "Add"

Cond2:
Formula is:=$K6="No"
Format: Red

OK out
--
Rgds
Max

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Hi Max,
You resolve one problem for me....I hadn't worked out how to apply two
conditional formats....using the add button.....I don't know how I missed
this...cheers.

Using a range like the one you suggested B6:M6, causes ALL the cells in the
range to change.....I only want the relevant row to change.....to be used as
a visual indication of the clients stage progress...if you know what I mean!

I didn't explain my objective properly Max.
Doing what you suggested conditionally formats all the cells in the range.

What I want to do is........
When I select Yes (or No) in any cell in column K, for example K6, I would
like the range of cells B6:M6 in that row only to change to the appropriate
colour.

Likewise K8 (Yes / No) would produce formatting on Row range B8:M8.

Do I have to format each row individually. What formula would I use for
this? I thought if I used relative references, I could copy down the
formula...but I don't seem to be able to get this to work.

Please advise.
Thanks
Dermot

"Max" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

What I want to do is........
When I select Yes (or No) in any cell in column K, for example K6, I would
like the range of cells B6:M6 in that row only to change to the

appropriate
colour.
Likewise K8 (Yes / No) would produce formatting on Row range B8:M8.

Yes, implemented correctly, that's exactly how it should have worked.

Did you select the range correctly as per the 1st step ?
Select B6:M20 (with B6 active)

The above means select by clicking on B6 first,
then dragging across/down to M20

The CF settings would then be correctly applied for each row
within the range B6:M20 at one go

Here's a sample construct to illustrate:
http://cjoint.com/?mDpCcXfbmG
Dermot_newusers.xls

(contains a screenshot of the selection & CF dialog settings as well)

--
Rgds
Max
"Dermot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Thank you again Max.....

I don't know how I managed but I used two absolute references $K$6 instead of
=$K6="YES".

Have a good new year

Dermot

"Dermot" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

You're welcome, Dermot.
Glad it helped and you finally got it working right !
--
Rgds
Max