-   -   when I type a zip code into a cell, only zeros show up. Help? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/59809-when-i-type-zip-code-into-cell-only-zeros-show-up-help.html)

gentlearts

when I type a zip code into a cell, only zeros show up. Help?

We have tried format, cells, zip code. When we type in a zip code then tab to
the next cell, only zeros show up in the cell.

David McRitchie

when I type a zip code into a cell, only zeros show up. Help?

I presume you do not actually get ALL zeros.

What number did you type into the cell, is it possible that you have
Lotus 1-2-3 Transitions on in Tools, options, transition and are
doing a subtraction. I guess you said you only see zeros.

Anyway the zip code formats in Format, cells, special
require you to choose 5 digit or 9 digit, seems you chose 9 digits
and entered 5. and your actual format would be 00000-0000
so a zip code of 07710 would look like 00000-7710

I would suggest that you for the column as Text and then you can include
zip codes from any county, and sort your US zip codes properly.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#fixUSzip5

---
HTH,