-   -   Put Results in another cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/56529-put-results-another-cell.html)

DTTODGG

Put Results in another cell

OK guys/gals -

I know this MUST be simple, but I'm very new to excel.
I'm trying to look at one column (A), if the work "Dist" or "Sale" is in the
Cell, I would like to fill the next column (B) with "--", otherwise, leave
the values alone in column B.

=IF(OR(A1="Dist",A1="Sale"),B1="'--", otherwise leave value alone in B1

Thanks for everything!

DTTODGG

Put Results in another cell

To clarify, I would like my formula to reside in column (B), but there is
other info already in that column. If the condition in column (A) is met,
then (B) must change, otherwise not.

"DTTODGG" wrote:

OK guys/gals -

I know this MUST be simple, but I'm very new to excel.
I'm trying to look at one column (A), if the work "Dist" or "Sale" is in the
Cell, I would like to fill the next column (B) with "--", otherwise, leave
the values alone in column B.

=IF(OR(A1="Dist",A1="Sale"),B1="'--", otherwise leave value alone in B1

Thanks for everything!

Roger Govier

Put Results in another cell

Hi

You were practically there. This formula is entered in B1
=IF(OR(A1="Dist",A1="Sale"),"'--", "")

Regards

Roger Govier

DTTODGG wrote:
OK guys/gals -

I know this MUST be simple, but I'm very new to excel.
I'm trying to look at one column (A), if the work "Dist" or "Sale" is in the
Cell, I would like to fill the next column (B) with "--", otherwise, leave
the values alone in column B.

=IF(OR(A1="Dist",A1="Sale"),B1="'--", otherwise leave value alone in B1

Thanks for everything!

swatsp0p

Put Results in another cell

Does B1 currently contain a value? Workbook functions cannot change a
value in another cell. It would take VBA code to do that. You could
enter this formula in C1:

=IF(OR(A1="Dist",A1="Sale"),"--",B1)

Will return the contents of B1 unless A1="Dist" or "Sale"

Then maybe Hide column B

Good Luck.

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=486830

DTTODGG

Put Results in another cell

Thank-you.

Yes, B1 contains a value. I used your suggestion.
Now, is there a way to copy the format from column (B) to (C)?

You guys are great!
--------------------------

"swatsp0p" wrote:

Does B1 currently contain a value? Workbook functions cannot change a
value in another cell. It would take VBA code to do that. You could
enter this formula in C1:

=IF(OR(A1="Dist",A1="Sale"),"--",B1)

Will return the contents of B1 unless A1="Dist" or "Sale"

Then maybe Hide column B

Good Luck.

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=486830

swatsp0p

Put Results in another cell

Highlight Column B (click on the 'B' col header) press CTRL+C. click in
C1, right click, select Paste Special... and choose "Formats", click
OK.

HTH.