1x_x_______
2x_x_______
3x_x_______
4x_x_______
5x_________
6x_________
7x_________
8x_________

I want to know the % of cells in column C that have data in them, and
display this % in E1. Column A tells us we have 8 rows, so E1 then
would display 50%.

--
matthewst
matthewst's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20340

Roger Govier

how to do % of cells with data

Hi Matthew

Try
=COUNTIF(C1:C8,"=x")/COUNTIF(A1:A8,"=x")
Format the cell as Percentage.

Regards

Roger Govier

matthewst wrote:
My sheet looks like this:
_ABCDEF____
1x_x_______
2x_x_______
3x_x_______
4x_x_______
5x_________
6x_________
7x_________
8x_________

I want to know the % of cells in column C that have data in them, and
display this % in E1. Column A tells us we have 8 rows, so E1 then
would display 50%.

matthewst

how to do % of cells with data

Thanks for the quick reply!

That works to my example, but not for the actual sheet. I get this
error "#DIV/0!". The actual the cells contain names wich that formula
doesn't seem to like. Column A contains names and column C contains
ranks. I need to know the % of people with a rank. The number of people
in column A will change from time to time.
This is a little more difficult than I thought!

In a nutshell:
I need E1 to display the % of cells in column C that contain data as
compared to column A.

--
matthewst
matthewst's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20340
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483610

Roger Govier

how to do % of cells with data

Hi Matthew

then try
=COUNTA(C1:C8)/COUNTA(A1:A8)

Regards

Roger Govier

matthewst wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

That works to my example, but not for the actual sheet. I get this
error "#DIV/0!". The actual the cells contain names wich that formula
doesn't seem to like. Column A contains names and column C contains
ranks. I need to know the % of people with a rank. The number of people
in column A will change from time to time.
This is a little more difficult than I thought!

In a nutshell:
I need E1 to display the % of cells in column C that contain data as
compared to column A.

matthewst

how to do % of cells with data

Dude that is awesome!!!
Thanks!!

I got one more for ya.
What if the number of rows in column A changes? Let's say today there
are 8 people on the list and 4 have ranks.. Tommorow there will be 20
and 15 of them will have ranks, and so on.

--
matthewst
matthewst's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20340
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=483610

Roger Govier

how to do % of cells with data

Hi Matthew

Just extend your range.
You can make it whole columns if you wish
=COUNTA(C:C)/COUNTA(A:A)

Regards

Roger Govier

matthewst wrote:
Dude that is awesome!!!
Thanks!!

I got one more for ya.
What if the number of rows in column A changes? Let's say today there
are 8 people on the list and 4 have ranks.. Tommorow there will be 20
and 15 of them will have ranks, and so on.

matthewst

how to do % of cells with data

Sweet!!!
Thanks again!!