-   -   Auto generate numbers in decending order in a column (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/54322-auto-generate-numbers-decending-order-column.html)

JsJ

Auto generate numbers in decending order in a column

I just want to know how I can set up a column to auto generate numbers in
decsending order?

Anne Troy

Auto generate numbers in decending order in a column

You could add a formula: =if(isblank(b2),"",a2+1) would be it for row 3 if
you, for instance, type a date in column B. But you'd need a macro to make
it happen automatically.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JsJ" wrote in message
I just want to know how I can set up a column to auto generate numbers in
decsending order?

Tushar Mehta

Auto generate numbers in decending order in a column

In article ,
says...
I just want to know how I can set up a column to auto generate numbers in
decsending order?

Depending on what you mean by auto generate...

Put the largest desired number (say 100) in a cell and the next largest
number (99 in my case) in the cell below it. Then, select both cells,
move the mouse to the bottom right of the selection (it will become a
black cross) and click and drag as far down as needed.

I am not sure how Anne's solution works here since it generates
ascending numbers based on the content of the adjacent column. Maybe
she knows something I don't. ;-)

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions