-   -   Different Views of Same Worksheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/53151-different-views-same-worksheet.html)

[email protected]

Different Views of Same Worksheet

I have a simple worksheet with organization names, director names,
locations, etc.

Is it possible to create different views of this same worksheet?

For example, can I have the sheet2 tab show the same data sorted by
director's name and sheet3 sorted by city?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway

Different Views of Same Worksheet

A problem with having several views of the same data is that it becomes
out-of-date as soon as even a minor change is made to the source data.
There is also a danger that the 'copy' data may be up-dated leaving you with
two 'current' sets of data. If, as I suspect, your data is not extensive it
would be better to have only one set of data and sort it as required.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a simple worksheet with organization names, director names,
locations, etc.

Is it possible to create different views of this same worksheet?

For example, can I have the sheet2 tab show the same data sorted by
director's name and sheet3 sorted by city?

Thanks.

[email protected]

Different Views of Same Worksheet

Bill,

Can't the views use the same data, thus displaying any changes in any
of the views?

Steven

Roger Govier

Different Views of Same Worksheet

Hi

I think Bill is suggesting (quite correctly) that it is best to do
everything on the source sheet - Sheet1 - and that you should avoid copying
data to other sheets for creating different views.

Yes, by all means sort your data by Director then ViewsCustomAdd and give
it a name. Repeat this for the other views you want.
Then use ViewsCustomShow to display the relevant report.

Or, you could record a macro as you carry out the sort each time, even
hiding certain columns if required. You could then allocate these macros to
buttons on the sheet rather than using views.

Regards

Roger Govier