-   -   Sort - alphanumeric. (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/53053-sort-alphanumeric.html)

Brad

Sort - alphanumeric.

I have numerical data with alphabetical prefixes in a column.

This is what I get when I sort:
C1,C10,C2,C8,R1,R10,R11,R2

This is what I want when I sort:
C1,C2,C8,C10,R1,R2,R10,R11.

How can I do this?

Peo Sjoblom

Sort - alphanumeric.

You need to extract the numbers into ahelp column and sort by the help
column, if indeed you only have a letter in the string you can use

=--RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

copy down, select both columns and sort by the help column

Peo Sjoblom

"Brad" wrote in message
I have numerical data with alphabetical prefixes in a column.

This is what I get when I sort:
C1,C10,C2,C8,R1,R10,R11,R2

This is what I want when I sort:
C1,C2,C8,C10,R1,R2,R10,R11.

How can I do this?

David McRitchie

Sort - alphanumeric.

Hi Brad,
I guess Peo meant if you only have the same letter in front
of each cell. Some additional suggestions might be found in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorttcp.htm
When asking a question you want to include a representation
of what you would actually be working with.
---
HTH,