Andy100

Default excel to read a row, if word 'x' in then put on other sheet ??

I have a large database which i'm continually updating. It has:

Col A Col B Col C Col D

Surnames First names Time In Time Out

what i'm wanting to do (in sheet 2) is for excel to look down column A and
if it sees the surname "Smith" i want it to copy the whole entry (whole row)
into sheet 2.

there may be 20 or so queries running at any given time though. That is, i
might want it to copy all occurances of surnames "Smith" and "Jones" and
"Brown" etc etc etc into sheet 2. not particularly bothered which rows it
copies them into as i can do a "sort" on them later.

Hope this makes sense !!!!

Regards
Andrew

Ron de Bruin

Hi Andy100

You can Autofilter and copy
See Debra's site also
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html

Activate AutoFilter:
Select a cell in your data table and use DataFilterAutoFilter to activate AutoFilter.
Tip: Shortcut for the English version is Alt d f f

In each header cell a dropdown will appear next to your field name.
Click on the dropdown in the Country field and choose Netherlands.

Copy the filter result
1) Be sure that the active cell is in the data range
2) Press Ctrl * to select all data or use F5SpecialCurrent regionOK
3) Press Alt ; to select all visible data or use F5SpecialVisible cells onlyOK
4) Ctrl c or EditCopy
5) InsertWorksheet
6) Ctrl v or EditPaste
7) Select the sheet with the filter ( Sheet("Netherlands") in my example )
8) Press Esc
9) Press Alt d f f or DataFilterAutoFilter to turn off AutoFilter

Another way is to use EasyFilter
http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Andy100" wrote in message ...
I have a large database which i'm continually updating. It has:

Col A Col B Col C Col D

Surnames First names Time In Time Out

what i'm wanting to do (in sheet 2) is for excel to look down column A and
if it sees the surname "Smith" i want it to copy the whole entry (whole row)
into sheet 2.

there may be 20 or so queries running at any given time though. That is, i
might want it to copy all occurances of surnames "Smith" and "Jones" and
"Brown" etc etc etc into sheet 2. not particularly bothered which rows it
copies them into as i can do a "sort" on them later.

Hope this makes sense !!!!

Regards
Andrew

Ron de Bruin

Hi Andy100

Forgot to add :
In the example i filter the Country field for the country Netherlands as you can see.

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Andy100" wrote in message ...
I have a large database which i'm continually updating. It has:

Col A Col B Col C Col D

Surnames First names Time In Time Out

what i'm wanting to do (in sheet 2) is for excel to look down column A and
if it sees the surname "Smith" i want it to copy the whole entry (whole row)
into sheet 2.

there may be 20 or so queries running at any given time though. That is, i
might want it to copy all occurances of surnames "Smith" and "Jones" and
"Brown" etc etc etc into sheet 2. not particularly bothered which rows it
copies them into as i can do a "sort" on them later.

Hope this makes sense !!!!

Regards
Andrew

Ron de Bruin

Hi Andy

Try the EasyFilter Add-in first to copy the records to a new sheet

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Andy100" wrote in message

I have a large database which i'm continually updating. It has:

Col A Col B Col C Col D

Surnames First names Time In Time Out

what i'm wanting to do (in sheet 2) is for excel to look down column A

and
if it sees the surname "Smith" i want it to copy the whole entry (whole

row)
into sheet 2.

there may be 20 or so queries running at any given time though. That is,

might want it to copy all occurances of surnames "Smith" and "Jones" and
"Brown" etc etc etc into sheet 2. not particularly bothered which rows

it
copies them into as i can do a "sort" on them later.

Hope this makes sense !!!!

Regards
Andrew

Andy100

Using easyfilter i get error message "run-time error 1004 - sort method of
range class failed"

I have macros in the spreadsheet, does that matter ?

Cheers
Andy

"Andy100" wrote in message

[...]

Ron de Bruin

Hi Andy

I like to see your workbook if possible
Send it to me private

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Andy100" wrote in message
[...]

Andy100

Thanks Ron, it has a lot of confidential information in there, it relates to
work details addresses, mobile numbers, National Ins numbers. I haven't got
it here, it's on my work PC and i daren't send it from there because I would
get sacked for sending it over the net !!. They monitor e-mails and i'd get
into trouble.

Many Thanks for your speedy help, much appreciated.

Regards
Andrew

"Andy100" wrote in message
[...]

Ron de Bruin

OK

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Andy100" wrote in message
[...]

Andy100

Thanks Ron for your help. I think the problem is to do with the macros that
are in it. I tried it on an excel file i've got here which also has macros,
that's how i got that error message. I will try "easy filter" on the works
PC to see if it happens on the excel file in question, it may be ok on it.

Cheers
Andy