-   -   How do you make a backup file - .bak or MS equivalent? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/4772-how-do-you-make-backup-file-bak-ms-equivalent.html)

Terry_BWL

How do you make a backup file - .bak or MS equivalent?

I have been using Lotus. When you SAVE AS you are given the choice to make a
BAK (backup) file. Is there a similiar command in Excel? When I use SAVE AS
it just asks if I want to replace. Thanks for any help.

Don Guillett

Another approach saves the file in a backup folder.

Sub Backup() 'kept in personal.xls & assigned to toolbar button
On Error GoTo BackupFile
MkDir CurDir & "\Backup"
BackupFile:
With ActiveWorkbook
MyWB = .Path & "\BACKUP\" & .Name
.SaveCopyAs MyWB
.Save
End With

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Terry_BWL" wrote in message
I have been using Lotus. When you SAVE AS you are given the choice to

make a
BAK (backup) file. Is there a similiar command in Excel? When I use SAVE

AS
it just asks if I want to replace. Thanks for any help.

George Gee

Hi Terry

File Save as Tools General options,
checkmark in 'Always create backup'.

George Gee

*Terry_BWL* has posted this message:

I have been using Lotus. When you SAVE AS you are given the choice
to make a BAK (backup) file. Is there a similiar command in Excel?
When I use SAVE AS it just asks if I want to replace. Thanks for any
help.

Terry_BWL

Thanks to both of you for the help.

"Terry_BWL" wrote in message
I have been using Lotus. When you SAVE AS you are given the choice to

make a
BAK (backup) file. Is there a similiar command in Excel? When I use SAVE

AS
it just asks if I want to replace. Thanks for any help.

Don Guillett

glad it helps

--
Don Guillett