-   -   IF statement (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/4680-if-statement.html)

Ragnar

IF statement

In excel If 2 columns have an equal value I want a 3rd column to display the
value from a 4th column, what is the syntax for this?

JE McGimpsey

One way:

C1: =IF(A1=B1,D1,"")

In article ,
Ragnar wrote:

In excel If 2 columns have an equal value I want a 3rd column to display the
value from a 4th column, what is the syntax for this?

Sandy Mann

Ragnar,

You don't say what you want if the values are not equal but the general
syntax for an IF statement is:

=IF(test, Do if test true, Do if test not true)
so in your case that would be:

=If(1st Column Value=2nd Column Value,Value from 3rd Column,Result if not
equal)

One caveat is if the 1st and 2nd values are determined by a calculation they
may differ by just a very small amount which would sop them being equal and
so you may have to round them before comparing.

HTH

Sandy

--
to e-mail direct replace @mailintor.com with @tiscali.co.uk