-   -   Math Question (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/4576-math-question.html)

Mike

Math Question

This is probably real simple for somebody, I just can't get it.

If I want 50% more of something in cell A1 I would Type:

=SUM(A1)+(A1*50%)
So if A1 is 14 the result would be 21...Perfect.

But if A1 is (14) the result is (21) Not the (7) I wanted.

Can anybody help???

JE McGimpsey

First, you SUM() function is superfluous. SUM(A1) returns A1.

I'm not sure why you think that positive 7 should be 50% of negative 14,
but you can achieve your goal using

=A1 + ABS(A1)/2

In article ,
"Mike" wrote:

This is probably real simple for somebody, I just can't get it.

If I want 50% more of something in cell A1 I would Type:

=SUM(A1)+(A1*50%)
So if A1 is 14 the result would be 21...Perfect.

But if A1 is (14) the result is (21) Not the (7) I wanted.

Can anybody help???

Mike

No that is not what I think but when I want to add positive number to a
negative number I want to get closer to 0.

"Mike" wrote:

This is probably real simple for somebody, I just can't get it.

If I want 50% more of something in cell A1 I would Type:

=SUM(A1)+(A1*50%)
So if A1 is 14 the result would be 21...Perfect.

But if A1 is (14) the result is (21) Not the (7) I wanted.

Can anybody help???

CLR

Maybe.........

=IF(A1<0,(A1+(-A1*0.5)),A1*1.5)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Mike" wrote in message
This is probably real simple for somebody, I just can't get it.

If I want 50% more of something in cell A1 I would Type:

=SUM(A1)+(A1*50%)
So if A1 is 14 the result would be 21...Perfect.

But if A1 is (14) the result is (21) Not the (7) I wanted.

Can anybody help???

Frank Kabel

Hi
but this is what the function does. Have you tried it?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel