-   -   relative reference (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/4562-relative-reference.html)

Charlie

relative reference

I have a cell formula =SUM(I4,-F4) which is in cell J4. If I insert a
column so that j moves to k, I want the formula to adjust to
=SUM(J4,-G4). Is this possible, and if so how?
thanks...charlie

Peo Sjoblom

Only if you insert the column to the left of F4 will it do that
btw, no need for a SUM formula, =I4-F4 will do

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Charlie" wrote:

I have a cell formula =SUM(I4,-F4) which is in cell J4. If I insert a
column so that j moves to k, I want the formula to adjust to
=SUM(J4,-G4). Is this possible, and if so how?
thanks...charlie

Charlie

I thought I read somewhere that there was a relative
cell reference, something like R[1]C[1] which would refer to the cell
one column to the right and one row down, or RC[-1] which would refer
to the cell pn the same row and ne column to the left. But I can't get
this to work or an more information on it.

JE McGimpsey

See "the R1C1 reference style" in XL Help.