Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default MS Excel 2010 uses Russian for "Sheet" in new workbook

Hi,

I use Excel 2010 on a Windows 7 Home 64-bit system with the Russian language pack installed (my wife is Russian and also uses this computer).

When I create a new spreadsheet from Windows Explorer using File New Excel spreadsheet (or from the context menu), the spreadsheet has the tabs named in Russia, so instead of "Sheet", it uses "List".

I have UK English, US English and Russian installed according to the File Options Languages settings, with UK English set as the default language and keyboard (the US English and Russian keyboards aren't enabled, just the spelling and grammar rules for these).

Windows is set to use United Kingdom as its location in the Region and Language applet in the Control Panel.

Does anyone know how I can correct this behaviour please?

Best regards,
Richard Watt
Junior Member

Default Here's a VBA workaround

Sub SetLanguageFormat()

'Declarations
Dim cell As Range
Dim f As String
Const LCID As String = "[$-0409]"
Dim reg 'As RegExp 'Removed for late binding

'Setup regular expression
Set reg = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp")
reg.Global = True
reg.IgnoreCase = True
reg.Pattern = "\[\$\-+[\w]*[\w]\]"

'Loop through all cells and change the date formate
For Each cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells
If IsDate(cell.Value) Then
f = cell.NumberFormat
If reg.Execute(f).Count 0 Then
'Language is set so replace it