-   -   Insert function (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/450019-insert-function.html)

Emrys Davies

Insert function

I am learning how to use Excel 2007. I have successfully entered column
headings with a view to keeping a record of crown green bowling scores.
However, when I enter 21/12 in an appropriate column it changes to 21-Dec.
How can I ensure that this does not happen?

Claus Busch

Insert function

Hi,

Am Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:18:58 +0100 schrieb Emrys Davies:

I am learning how to use Excel 2007. I have successfully entered column
headings with a view to keeping a record of crown green bowling scores.
However, when I enter 21/12 in an appropriate column it changes to 21-Dec.
How can I ensure that this does not happen?

if you want to calculate with the values put them in 2 cells. If not
format the cell as text before you enter the data.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional

Emrys Davies

Insert function

"Claus Busch" wrote in message

Am Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:18:58 +0100 schrieb Emrys Davies:

I am learning how to use Excel 2007. I have successfully entered column
headings with a view to keeping a record of crown green bowling scores.
However, when I enter 21/12 in an appropriate column it changes to
21-Dec.
How can I ensure that this does not happen?

if you want to calculate with the values put them in 2 cells. If not
format the cell as text before you enter the data.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional

Thanks a lot. It worked really well.

Emrys Davies

Insert function

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message

"Claus Busch" wrote in message

Am Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:18:58 +0100 schrieb Emrys Davies:

I am learning how to use Excel 2007. I have successfully entered column
headings with a view to keeping a record of crown green bowling scores.
However, when I enter 21/12 in an appropriate column it changes to
21-Dec.
How can I ensure that this does not happen?

if you want to calculate with the values put them in 2 cells. If not
format the cell as text before you enter the data.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional

Thanks a lot. It worked really well.

Claus B,

I have successfully entered my team in Col. A and the first game's results
in Col. B. Other teams take up columns C to AR. Points are entered in
column AS and Shots are entered in column AT. Points and shots have
'sorted' perfectly so far and that is all I wanted. Now my question. If
after next week's game I enter the results in column C and 'Sort All' will
the Points and Shots be updated automatically or am I expected to manually
update those two and then 'Sort' them as I did for column B?