ExcelBanter

-   -   Sorting rows (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/449237-sorting-rows.html)

Quilp September 8th 13 03:25 PM

Sorting rows

I have my recorded music collection catalogued in a worksheet where column A shows the date when a new addition to my collection is added, column B shows the sequential number identifying the recording, column C shows the name of the composer. Other columns show the names of the orchestra, performers etc. I would like to sort this worksheet in alphabetical order of composer in such a way that the whole row moves i.e the sheet would appear the same after sorting; apart from the catalogue numbers in column B which would no longer be sequential.
I would normally maintain the worksheet in this composer sorted condition but I will need to be able to revert to the original condition when I want to add a further recording and need to locate and allocate the next sequential number.

Can anyone tell me if and how this can be achieved?

Claus Busch September 8th 13 03:56 PM

Sorting rows

Hi,

Am Sun, 8 Sep 2013 15:25:53 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

I have my recorded music collection catalogued in a worksheet where
column A shows the date when a new addition to my collection is added,
column B shows the sequential number identifying the recording, column C
shows the name of the composer. Other columns show the names of the
orchestra, performers etc. I would like to sort this worksheet in
alphabetical order of composer in such a way that the whole row moves
i.e the sheet would appear the same after sorting; apart from the
catalogue numbers in column B which would no longer be sequential.
I would normally maintain the worksheet in this composer sorted
condition but I will need to be able to revert to the original condition
when I want to add a further recording and need to locate and allocate
the next sequential number.

select one cell in your table = Data = Sort.
In the new dialog choose Sort by column C

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Quilp September 9th 13 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus Busch (Post 1613775)
[...]

Thanks Claus - easy when you know how!

Quilp September 11th 13 07:12 PM

Having sorted part of my worksheet, thanks to Claus, I am now wondering if it is possible to individually sort sections of the sheet.
The single page sheet shows the sequential catalogue number in three groups and I have sorted the cd's section O.K. but I would now like to sort the Digital and DVD sections independently of each other and of the cd section. Is this possible or will I have to split the sheet into three pages and independently sort each page?

To clarify, I have allocated numbers 1-505 to cd's, then used the following two rows to enter a heading "Digital Music" and then started using rows 507 to 571 to list my mp3 downloads followed by a heading "DVD's" in rows 572-3 after which I have listed my DVD collection.

Claus Busch September 11th 13 07:57 PM

Sorting rows

Hi,

Am Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:12:21 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

To clarify, I have allocated numbers 1-505 to cd's, then used the
following two rows to enter a heading "Digital Music" and then started
using rows 507 to 571 to list my mp3 downloads followed by a heading
"DVD's" in rows 572-3 after which I have listed my DVD collection.

insert 2 empty rows between the different sections. Then you can sort
the three parts in three actions

Regards
Claus B.

Quilp September 12th 13 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus Busch (Post 1613822)
Hi,

Am Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:12:21 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

To clarify, I have allocated numbers 1-505 to cd's, then used the
following two rows to enter a heading "Digital Music" and then started
using rows 507 to 571 to list my mp3 downloads followed by a heading
"DVD's" in rows 572-3 after which I have listed my DVD collection.

insert 2 empty rows between the different sections. Then you can sort
the three parts in three actions

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Thank you Claus - your help to this old newbie is much appreciated.

Quilp September 12th 13 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quilp (Post 1613827)
Thank you Claus - your help to this old newbie is much appreciated.

I now have a further question - rather than having to reverse the sortings, when I need to find the last number allocated in order to use the next one for a new recording entry, is it possible to find this number by using the "find" feature or in some other way?

Claus Busch September 12th 13 04:58 PM

Sorting rows

Hi,

Am Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:57:52 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

I now have a further question - rather than having to reverse the
sortings, when I need to find the last number allocated in order to use
the next one for a new recording entry, is it possible to find this
number by using the "find" feature or in some other way?

I don't really understand what number you are looking for.
If you have sorted by composer the numbers are not in order.
The last number in column B you get with:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B)
But the highest number you get with:
=MAX(B:B)

Regards
Claus B.

Quilp September 13th 13 10:16 AM

[quote=Claus Busch;1613831]Hi,

Am Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:57:52 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

I now have a further question - rather than having to reverse the
sortings, when I need to find the last number allocated in order to use
the next one for a new recording entry, is it possible to find this
number by using the "find" feature or in some other way?

I don't really understand what number you are looking for.
If you have sorted by composer the numbers are not in order.
The last number in column B you get with:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B)
But the highest number you get with:
=MAX(B:B)

Yes - the numbers are not in order which is the problem when I need to find the highest number so that I can allocate the next one to a newly entered recording.
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B) returns REF
=MAX(B:B) returns 0

I have now made it possible to find quickly the highest number in my cataloguing sequence by inserting an extra column, now column A, and entering sequential numbers into it. However, this seems a clumsy way to do it.

Claus Busch September 13th 13 10:55 AM

Sorting rows

Hi,

Am Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:16:11 +0100 schrieb Quilp:

Yes - the numbers are not in order which is the problem when I need to
find the highest number so that I can allocate the next one to a newly
entered recording.
=LOOKUP(2,1/(B1:B1000),B:B) returns REF
=MAX(B:B) returns 0

in which column are your numbers? You have to modify the references to
your sheet.

I have now made it possible to find quickly the highest number in my
cataloguing sequence by inserting an extra column, now column A, and
entering sequential numbers into it. However, this seems a clumsy way
to do it.

Another way is to insert a new column with your medium, e.g. CD, DVD.
Then you can put your tables together to one table, you can sort first
by medium and then by composer and if you want enter new data you can
sort by number, and so on.

Regards
Claus B.